K20a Vtec Relay Required?

Hyperblade

In the Manual for setting up a K20a it mentions

"Extra relay required as from the factory the VTEC solenoid is wires as power (+) switching

Can this be changed to do ground switching via the ECU in a custom loom?

Just trying to limit the number of relays i'm using.

If its a two wire solenoid then yes you should be fine to connect +12V constant to one side and lowside drive the other side directly with an Aux.  I suspect the note in the help file was probably based on using the factory loom which has one side of the solenoid permanently grounded.

33 minutes ago, Adamw said:

If its a two wire solenoid then yes you should be fine to connect +12V constant to one side and lowside drive the other side directly with an Aux.  I suspect the note in the help file was probably based on using the factory loom which has one side of the solenoid permanently grounded.

Thanks, I figured as much but was wondering if i had missed something special about them :)

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Even if we use the factory room. It should be fine with high side drive as I understand that the VTEC solenoid is considered low resistant load, Is this correct?

I dont know.  Only some of our ECU's have high-side drives (not Atom, Monsoon or plug-ins), those that do are capable of 0.5A highside.  I dont know what those solenoids require, but assuming their resistance is more than about 30ohms you should be ok to highside drive.