rjdrifts

E36 G4+ PNP with Audi R8 Coilpacks

I have the Link G4+ PnP in my BMW E36 with an M50B30 Engine. If i am not mistaken, the ecu itself has igniters to run all the OEM BMW Coilpacks. 

I want to make the switch to AUDI R8 coilpacks and I know that these are smart coilpacks in comparison to the oem BMW ones.. Once I rewire the Audi Coilpacks to the Engine Harness, I have read that i have to change the dwell time to ignite the new Audi Coilpacks. Now do i need to do anyting else?  I have heard that i have to remove something from the ECU. 

Thank  you!

I now know of a couple of guys running these with the E36 plug-in now, they are a bit of a pain due to the very low impedance, so they need a 12V pull-up to make them work.  Read this thread to the end:  

16 minutes ago, Bebelracing said:

Strange, i run R8 coils on many projects, from Atom to thunder, I never experienced any issue. for me they work fine

The E36 plug-in is designed for the stock BMW dumb coils though, it has ignitors built-in inside the ECU.