CAN BUS SET UPS ON FRENCH RUBBISH

S172

Hi everybody I was wondering if anyone has had a mess around with any French can bus systems I’ve currently wired my 2003 Clio 172 turbo with a g4+ fury runs great got a map on it etc but I was wanting to keep the stock dash but the tacho and ect gauge work off CAN yeah I couldn’t believe it either crazy  

Anyways yeah my I’m slightly out of my league with the CAN side of things as the original wiring loom was ECU to BCM to the DASH do I go straight to the dash or would the dash need to see the bcm and the old Ecu ? 

You would probably want to keep the connection the same as it was originally as sometimes one device (BCM in this case) will be a gateway that combines data from several modules before sending it to the dash.  

But for the Link ecu to be able to duplicate the factory ECU CAN data you would need to reverse engineer all of the CAN messages the factory ecu was sending out - which is not always an easy task.  

Yeah there’s only the 3 brains it’s quite a simple CAN set up no abs no esp etc just the 3 but my understanding of this is limited could I wire straight to the dash and bye pass everything I want to retain stock as much-as possible I know the link has various presets how do I try these without doing any damage 

You cant try anything without first sniffing the original bus, reverse engineering it to find the signals that are related to the dash, then trying to reproduce them.  In some cases if there are special check sums and heart beat messages you wont be able to reproduce them.  

Here is the general idea:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwNJocB-y1Y

• 1 month later...