BMW 135i 2JZ-GTE VVTI on Link Fury

Teigster

Hello guys! I'm here to learn some things about proper CAN Bus setup within the Link Fury

A little back history on the vehicle and application,

The car is a 2011 BMW 135i previously N55 the engine let go and Mark Panic of Panic Wire took it upon ourselves to have a good challenge and reach a fully functional 2jz swap into the vehicle.

I did as much as I could to keep the vehicle stock except for the engine and ecu, as the Link Fury is tied into the engine along with the factory DME to handle PT-CAN Bus signals.

so far we have managed to have full e-throttle with the BMW electronic throttle pedal and 2j throttle body there. The pedal position data matched that of the e46 chassis.

Push button start like factory with comfort access is fully operational and some other little odds and ends.

Our main push now is to gain A/C - RPM to the cluster - Fuel control

I can live without fuel control for now as I try to capture and decipher the data needed. It's currently hardwired from the Bus unit on a switch for full power operation and controlled with the FPR

So far this is the data that has been found through e90 Can Bus project by Thaniel on bimmerforums

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2298830-E90-Can-bus-project-(E60-E65-E87-)&p=29255153#post29255153

A/C Can Bus information

ARBID 0x242:

in Byte0. The first bit (I'll call it Bit0). When it is Zero AC off, 1 is AC on. Max AC, Recirculate Auto and Recirculate are also on this byte

Byte0
Bit0 AC on, off
Bit1
Bit2 Max AC on, off
Bit3
Bit4 Recirculate Auto
Bit5 Recirculate

Byte1 has Normal or Defrost. Looks like bit2 is what is toggled (ours goes from F1 for Normal and F5 for Defrost).

RPM Can Information

Engine RPM

Hex 0D34 = 3380
3380/ 4 = 845 RPM

A fellow that owns the site Loopybunny has compiled a lot of the CAN information already and done alot of the footwork

http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/k_can.html

For now I personally would like to learn a bit on how to properly apply this data ( if it is even the correct data that we need ) to the Link to gain some functionality over the car, hoping here is the best place to learn how to do this.

8RffSZn.jpegPN6PtH8.jpeg

I dont think you will be able to get the tacho working if the factory ECU is still in place sending out 0 RPM all the time?  

The AC may be possible, but you need the correct info in the first place.  Your pasted text above suggests it maybe on ID 242, but then the loopbunny site doesnt even have a 242 ID but instead may show something related on 2D6 or 2E6, so you need to either sniff yourself or get more reliable data - you cant just do it by trial and error.   

Ok, I had a quick look, the loopbunny stuff is no use as that appears to be all from the low speed K bus, not the highspeed PT bus that the ECU usually interfaces with.  Not much of interest on the bimmerforum link either, that looks like again mostly the K bus.

I think removing the factory ecu will need a lot more work, there will be all kinds of wake up messages for various modules as well as probably checksums and counters and heartbeats to keep things happy.    I would suggest getting a cheap socket CAN device, install linux on an old laptop and start doing some basic reverse enginerering yourself while you still have a OEM ecu in place - savvycan is a good free software tool or linux has some basic stuff built in..  But how much of it (or any of it) the fury will be able to duplicate is a big unknown.

I can look into that and poke around. I have an old labtop to tool with.

Another option is paying the consultation fee of dealing with BPM Sport who is capable of 1: getting us the correct CAN Data and 2: building a CAN Bus module to handle these operations.

The module would be very similar to what Wiring specialties is putting out for the e46

https://www.wiringspecialties.com/bmw-e46-ls1-canbus-module/

I'd like to see full Link control so I'm open to your opinions to get down the right track and hopefully we can crack this.

If we can agree it's a smart and strategic decision to nut up and get the information from BPM Sport I will get us the information. 

1 hour ago, Teigster said:

Another option is paying the consultation fee of dealing with BPM Sport who is capable of 1: getting us the correct CAN Data and 2: building a CAN Bus module to handle these operations.

It will depend on how complex the bus is, the E46 due to its age has a very simple bus.  The Link ECU can duplicate the E46 messages no worries using just the generic tools.  The E82 being 10 years newer I suspect will be much more complex, and likely wont be possible without somekind of 3rd party device in-between to do some of the more complex calculations that will be required.  Just to give you an idea, the couple of cars I have worked on from a similar era as a "spare time project" if I tallied up my hours I suspect would be in the ballpark of around 100hours work to  reverse engineer just the comms relevant to the engine ecu - and I have a reasonably level of understanding of CAN.  So if you were going to be paying someone to do that you would want some sort of fixed price up front as you certainly dont want to be paying someone for 100 hrs of work.

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

It will depend on how complex the bus is, the E46 due to its age has a very simple bus.  The Link ECU can duplicate the E46 messages no worries using just the generic tools.  The E82 being 10 years newer I suspect will be much more complex, and likely wont be possible without somekind of 3rd party device in-between

Okay I can understand that. So from here I can at least get the correct data, and bring it here for review. 

The next step is if a module becomes required are there any specific questions you would be mindful to ask about.

Here is a recent message from Thaniel clarifying the data from loopybunny 

The RPM signal information is referenced in the thread. Or rather think I point to the loopy bunny site. But on the PT can the data is the same as what's posted in the loopy bunny site but the transmission frequency is higher. Now if you are trying to get it to appear on the cluster that's a bit tougher as the cluster is looking for a bunch of messages and some messages have counters and or CRC's to ensure the data stream isn't corrupted. Use a bmw scanner (like INPA) and see what errors the KOMBI is reporting. It will likely list a bunch of missing CAN ID's. Some of the messages can be coded out of the KOMBI if you like so it quits looking for them.

If you want to attach your tune I will set up some CAN to look at the two possible AC status bytes so we can see if either are valid.  AC will be the easiest test because you can leave the OEM ecu and Fury both connected to the PT bus at the same time while testing.

• 11 months later...

Adam, although my factory DME is in parallel compared to the attached thread.

We loaded that base CAN setup and also tried adjusting engine speed CAN like you mentioned in this thread. Still not getting results on the Tach.

Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Can you attach a copy of your tune.  What ECU CAN port is wired to the PT bus?  You will also need to disconnect the factory ecu if you want the Link to broadcast the data. 

CAN 1 is wired to put bus. I'll disconnect the factory DME and report back

Teigons Current Tune.pclr