v44 flex fuel

sargii

Hello.

I have an evo 7 with the Vipec V44 plug-in updated to the latest firmware.

and i would like to run a flex fuel tune.

I see that there are dual maps, the ability to run a flex fuel sensor.

I have seen somewhere that in the latest firmware that you can run a flex fuel set up but I have also seen that you can only use 98 or e85 and need to switch maps depending on the fuel you wanted to use,

if I was to run a flex fuel sensor will the V44 be able to run a proper flex fuel set up and adjust the tune to suit the ethanol%? 

I have spoken to a tuner who said its possible and another that has stated that i will need to order a new ecu in order to flex fuel. 

I thought I will ask here as i don't want to buy a new ecu if i don't need to.

thank you all for the help.

I don’t see why the v44 won’t do proper flex fuel. It’s just using the ethanol % as an input and doing a 3D map based on that or other corrections. Someone else could chime in but I’m sure it would work and it sure it’s been done on v44. I’ve got a v44 on 8 MR FQ and keen to see how you with flex setup 

The common way to run flex fuel in the V series is by using a 4D fuel table with ethanol content on one axis so it multiplies the main fuel table by a factor varying with RPM or MAP.  

But the main problem you will have with the older V series is the compensations such as cold start and warm-up enrichment will always have to be a compromise.  The cold start settings required for ethanol Vs petrol are vastly different but the V series only gives you one lot of settings to work with.  With modern ECU's you have either 3D compensations that vary with ethanol content or 2 sets of compensations that are blended based on ethanol content.  

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

The common way to run flex fuel in the V series is by using a 4D fuel table with ethanol content on one axis so it multiplies the main fuel table by a factor varying with RPM or MAP.  

But the main problem you will have with the older V series is the compensations such as cold start and warm-up enrichment will always have to be a compromise.  The cold start settings required for ethanol Vs petrol are vastly different but the V series only gives you one lot of settings to work with.  With modern ECU's you have either 3D compensations that vary with ethanol content or 2 sets of compensations that are blended based on ethanol content.  

Okay. So I only Really need to worry about starting, warm up when cold. But once going all should be good? 

I could always run a engine pre heater to help with the compromise? 

1 hour ago, paulr33 said:

I don’t see why the v44 won’t do proper flex fuel. It’s just using the ethanol % as an input and doing a 3D map based on that or other corrections. Someone else could chime in but I’m sure it would work and it sure it’s been done on v44. I’ve got a v44 on 8 MR FQ and keen to see how you with flex setup 

If I get it done I'll let you know. 

Are you using any motorsport features or anything like that?