Jump to content

Bmw s50b30 engine


Recommended Posts

Can someone share a calibration or vanos settings and degrees for me for bmw s50b30 engine? Ecu is xtreme and customer told me dual vanos but one solenoid for one camshaft. 
 

thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The S50B30 should have the high pressure vanos on inlet cam only.  It should have two solenoids - one for advance, one for retard.

Advance solenoid is the top one, retard is the bottom.  You need to cut the connectors off and fit something generic as the factory connectors have diodes in them designed for highside drive.

If you do a triggerscope and post it I will be able to suggest most of the settings from that.

T6HjV2b.png

iUedr55.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 5:17 AM, Adamw said:

The S50B30 should have the high pressure vanos on inlet cam only.  It should have two solenoids - one for advance, one for retard.

Advance solenoid is the top one, retard is the bottom.  You need to cut the connectors off and fit something generic as the factory connectors have diodes in them designed for highside drive.

If you do a triggerscope and post it I will be able to suggest most of the settings from that.

T6HjV2b.png

iUedr55.png

Hello Adamw, yesterday I went next to the car (different city) and the vanos system is like you picture you attached up. So its single vanos owner and mechanic think two vanos because of two solenoids.I make a road tune without vanos (just for drive the car to rod adjustment etc) I forgot to take a triggerscope but its single vanos so can you suggest me the settings please ? Or if you want I can have a triggerscope in couple days and attach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, Adamw said:

There are two different cam patterns for this engine, some have 8 evenly spaced teeth, some 6+1, which is why the triggerscope is needed.

Hi, today customer bring the car to me. I take a trigger scope and also I have questions if you can help me I will be happy because I never tuned bmw vanos system.
I attached calibration and also trigger scope. 
I atached some pictures, and write which one is connected to where but I don't know if its correct. Trigger 2 is connected the middle sensor and engine works (I wrote Trig1 on picture by mistake but it is Trig2). Digital inputs connected to the ecu  but they are not active because of I don't know if they are correct. And also I don't know the hz or offset numbers for this engine. Also I attached picture (you attached before) I just can be sure and didn't find on google which is retard solenoid and which is advance  solenoid.

 

Thank you for support.

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

Solenoid.JPG

S50B30.pclr Trigger Scope Log 2020-09-10 S50B30 pm.llg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, both trig 2 and DI 1 are needed.  DI2 is not needed and not used.

The wire coming out the top side of the vanos unit is the advance solenoid (aux 4) and the wires out the bottom are the retard solenoid (aux 3).

Map attached below with most of the basics set up.  Once you have the engine running you will need to turn on the LH Cam angle test (use test pulse count of 8) and use that to determine the offset number for DI1.  This procedure is explained in the help file page: G4+ ECU Tuning Functions > VVT Control > Tuning VVT Control > Cam Angle Test

S50B30 V1.pclr

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ok, both trig 2 and DI 1 are needed.  DI2 is not needed and not used.

The wire coming out the top side of the vanos unit is the advance solenoid (aux 4) and the wires out the bottom are the retard solenoid (aux 3).

Map attached below with most of the basics set up.  Once you have the engine running you will need to turn on the LH Cam angle test (use test pulse count of 8) and use that to determine the offset number for DI1.  This procedure is explained in the help file page: G4+ ECU Tuning Functions > VVT Control > Tuning VVT Control > Cam Angle Test

S50B30 V1.pclr 147.71 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for great support again. After that on vvt inlet target table is there any starting degrees you can advise ? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to hijack the post, but is there any article/post regarding the tuning of VE on a VVT engine on the G4+?

I'll also get to tune a S50b32 euro (double vanos) in the coming weeks and would like to apprehend how the G4+ is dealing with VE changes due to cam angle changes.

I know some other platform dealing with one VE table per cam angle and interpolating between. I couldn't find further infos on this plateform.

thx!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dx4picco said:

I'll also get to tune a S50b32 euro (double vanos) in the coming weeks and would like to apprehend how the G4+ is dealing with VE changes due to cam angle changes.

I know some other platform dealing with one VE table per cam angle and interpolating between. I couldn't find further infos on this plateform.

I have never needed to do any more than a single VE table.  Sometimes you will need to tickle up the final VE table after VVT has been tuned but usually it tends to take care of itself.  If you find the need then you can turn on a 4D fuel table and put cam position on one axis to perform a fuel correction based on cam pos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 1:04 PM, Adamw said:

Import the table attached will be a decent starting point

 

VVTi Inlet Target.lte 780 B · 5 downloads

Hello, I tuned this engine but I think vanos system is not working. I see aux 3 and 4 goes to on and off but Inlet LH error counter continously increase. I take a log and I attached the log and calibration which is fuel numbers tuned. 

I want to ask how can I check if vvt works (not only for this engine for general vvt system like subaru,toyota etc for ex: I tuned many hondata kpro and there two parameter cam command which is what ecu commands and cam which is actual cam degree), I mean when I compare Inlet LH target and Inlet LH possion should they match with each other ?  

By the way attached .lte file I can not open to see the degrees for vanos vvt deegree can you check if mine is ok or can you please attach a screen shot etc. 

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To import the VVT table, right click on your VVT table in PC link, go to >import/export > import from file, then choose this new table file.

 

For the VVT problem, please attach the log and tune.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 1:18 AM, Adamw said:

To import the VVT table, right click on your VVT table in PC link, go to >import/export > import from file, then choose this new table file.

 

For the VVT problem, please attach the log and tune.

 

Thank you for explanation about import export. Sorry I forgot to attach files .

S50B30 Link Storm.pclr S50B30.llg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Adamw said:

If you do a cam angle test on LH inlet cam, with a test pulse count of 8, are the reported cam angle numbers in the runtimes screen stable?  Can you list the numbers.

They are usually change in 4-5 degreese and sometime for ex: cam7  will be the lowest and sometimes cam5 or 3 is the lowest number. And let say cam7 is lowest and 27.4  after rpm lockout lowest number is 31. If you want I will record a short video and attach here. But I can do it in next week because customer lives at different city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...