Corolla g6 4efte cop tacho

Paschalis

Hi all

Can somebody help to solve the equation? :)

Finally got a g4+ replacing my g3 so as to make a cop conversion on my 4efte engine

understand that triggers will remain coming from the distributor, no prob there

my car was a corolla g6 with the 4efe engine as stock one back then, which had some kind of cop setup (picture attached) so I guess my cluster is low level normally, which was converted to high level when the 4efte fitted so as to show correctly the rpm (right or wrong?) 

So now that I ll go on with the 4efte cop conversion, do I need something more to add or the ecu tacho signal aux output will be enough?

Is there anyone here done this already on an e11 corolla?

Also concerning speed input, does anyone have any clue from where I can take the signal? Is it driven from stock wiring from an abs sensor? In 4efe stock wiring and ecu or from the 4efte? Or just maybe behind the cluster, next to the cable coming from the gearbox? I guess glanzas didnt have VSS sensor, BUT since dash cluster from the e11 works fine, so a kind of conversion is being done somehow? Or is it just the cable that delivers the signal?

Thanks

Screenshot_20200929-150032_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 hours ago, Paschalis said:

my car was a corolla g6 with the 4efe engine as stock one back then, which had some kind of cop setup (picture attached) so I guess my cluster is low level normally, which was converted to high level when the 4efte fitted so as to show correctly the rpm (right or wrong?) 

It could still be either.  The only way to know is to look at a factory wiring diagram to see if the tacho was originally connected to the coils(hi level) or to the ecu (low level).

So now that I ll go on with the 4efte cop conversion, do I need something more to add or the ecu tacho signal aux output will be enough

It is only one wire, why dont you try it to see if it works?  If it doesnt work connected direct to the ecu then you will need a tacho booster.

Also concerning speed input, does anyone have any clue from where I can take the signal? Is it driven from stock wiring from an abs sensor? In 4efe stock wiring and ecu or from the 4efte? Or just maybe behind the cluster, next to the cable coming from the gearbox? I guess glanzas didnt have VSS sensor, BUT since dash cluster from the e11 works fine, so a kind of conversion is being done somehow? Or is it just the cable that delivers the signal?

Most likely if it is a cable driven speedo, then the ecu will get a electronic speed signal from the speedo.

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

It could still be either.  The only way to know is to look at a factory wiring diagram to see if the tacho was originally connected to the coils(hi level) or to the ecu (low level).

It is only one wire, why dont you try it to see if it works?  If it doesnt work connected direct to the ecu then you will need a tacho booster.

You were right, worked just fine connecting just to the ecu,so it was a low level after all:)

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

Most likely if it is a cable driven speedo, then the ecu will get a electronic speed signal from the speedo.

I ll be back tomorrow with the speed input results, since it is indeed a cable driven speedo, I ll try to find the signal from thw speedo. I ll get back, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

hello, i have a g4x monsoon wired to a   starlet 4efte.

when i got the car it had no revcounter so i swapped it with glanza cluster with no problem as the wire was already there.

now with the monsoon hooked up, rpm needle stays to 0.

(i m using  the ig- thin black  wire that goes to coil/igniter) 

auxiliary 3  status tacho is Active though

should i use the wire direct from cluster to ecu? 

48 minutes ago, Nano said:

hello, i have a g4x monsoon wired to a   starlet 4efte.

when i got the car it had no revcounter so i swapped it with glanza cluster with no problem as the wire was already there.

now with the monsoon hooked up, rpm needle stays to 0.

(i m using  the ig- thin black  wire that goes to coil/igniter) 

auxiliary 3  status tacho is Active though

should i use the wire direct from cluster to ecu? 

If we are talking about the rpm counter, yes directly to the ecu BUT I think that it needs an adapter to work from new ecus, since my distributor driven rpm counter was working fine but when connected the ecu signal it had no readings like yours and I needed ti change to my original corolla g6 cluster to work ok without doing a ything more. So conclusion is that old style needs some kind of tacho booster, new style don't. 

You are correctly connected though.

21 minutes ago, Paschalis said:

If we are talking about the rpm counter, yes directly to the ecu BUT I think that it needs an adapter to work from new ecus, since my distributor driven rpm counter was working fine but when connected the ecu signal it had no readings like yours and I needed ti change to my original corolla g6 cluster to work ok without doing a ything more. So conclusion is that old style needs some kind of tacho booster, new style don't. 

You are correctly connected though.

yes i m talking about rev counter...i talked with a guy and told me it should work straight forward....

i ve forgotten to say, its coil on plugs, so oem igniter and coil are removed...

19 minutes ago, Nano said:

yes i m talking about rev counter...i talked with a guy and told me it should work straight forward....

i ve forgotten to say, its coil on plugs, so oem igniter and coil are removed...

Done this cop conversion 5 days ago:) So my findings were that corolla g6 rpm counter that was working fine but had been modified long time ago when 4efte engine fitted, stopped working with the tacho output (nobody remember how it had been modified back then) but as soon as I installed another original counter, it was working fine.

If you check Adam's post above, you ll see that he says that if original counter was connected to coils, it will work, otherwise it won't work and it will need a tacho booster.

Screenshot_20201027-184226_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 minutes ago, Paschalis said:

Done this cop conversion 5 days ago:) So my findings were that corolla g6 rpm counter that was working fine but had been modified long time ago when 4efte engine fitted, stopped working with the tacho output (nobody remember how it had been modified back then) but as soon as I installed another original counter, it was working fine.

If you check Adam's post above, you ll see that he says that if original counter was connected to coils, it will work, otherwise it won't work and it will need a tacho booster.

so i dont need booster? and it should work like mine is wired? sorry got a bit confused. ve justbm ordered the tacho booster adam suggested lol.

1 hour ago, Nano said:

so i dont need booster? and it should work like mine is wired? sorry got a bit confused. ve justbm ordered the tacho booster adam suggested lol.

That was the right move:)

Glanza stock cluster are old school high level driven from a distributor, link and other ecus can drive low level newer clusters driven from coils:)

2 hours ago, Paschalis said:

thanks for your help. is this easy to wire it ?

22 minutes ago, Nano said:

thanks for your help. is this easy to wire it ?

Yes you need a booster, I guess it will be wired between the digital input and the tacho, never used one though but how differently?

Im not sure what your question is?  

If an aux output is assigned to the tacho function then the signal the ecu outputs is a 0-12V square wave.  The 5V you are measuring is because it is a pulsed signal so you are only measuring the average of the two states (ie, roughly half way between 0V and 12V).  

If your car has a high level tacho (any tacho that originally was connected to the coil negative terminal) then it needs about a 50V signal to work - so you will either need a tacho booster or the tacho can sometimes be modified.

thanks adam, i just want my tacho to work.

by reading a lot of infos for my car, people seems to get it work with no mod.so i want to make sure i m not missing anything

but anyway, i ordered the booster and will try it.

the tacho was wired to an external igniter, cut off this wire and put it aux3

Edited by Nano
more info

• 1 month later...