BMW S65 V8 questions.

GintsK

Hello,

I am from Latvia and it seems with couple of Vi-PEC installations ahead.

Vi-PEC because of good reputation and famous support, VANOS control capability and some support (what?) of V10 S85 engine features.

S65 is derivative from S85 but with just 8 cylinders.

My questions is about abilities of V88.

Will it be possible to control quad VANOS sytem - means 4 cams with 8 solenoid valves?

What about two DBW? There is two ITB rows driven by two servos.

with hope on some answers

Gints

We can only do control for 2 Vanos solenoids due to their push pull nature (2 drives per solenoid)

On the V88 only drives 1-4 can be used for this function.

V88 is also only geared for a single E throttle.

Thanks for answer!

Does solution with two V88 units solve the problem? No other ways?

For what purpose V10 triggering system was developed?

Vi-PEC Firmware 4.8.2

New Features

Changes

BMW V10 Exhaust cam VVT decoding.

Fixes

It was for the BMW V10 up until it was discovered the engine was odd fire.

We have a customer that is investigating using two ECU's on the V8 currently to allow 4 cams to be controlled.

We will find out more as they progress. To date I don't think any one has done it.

S65 seems even fire engine. 90deg V8. I believe same triggering pattern as V10. IIRC 6 even sectors on inlet cams, 8 minus one on exhaust, 60-2 on crank.

Best scenario would be if one V88 stands for VANOS control and one of DBW sides. Is it possible, or VANOS should be divided between two units? Then - can one ECU control just exhaust, another - just intake VANOS? And share same target map for both cams?

Gints

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but seems to be related.

I´ve been playing little mind games about which engine I´m going to bump in my old BMW. At the moment I have turbocharged M60B40 (non vanos, nothing special) with Vi-pec V88, and all the parts I need to assemble it and get the car running, but it has taken so long time due to the fact that all days go in the work, and not in the garage :D. So now the turbocharged M60 is nothing new anymore.

Every now and then there is for sale S65B40 engines with manual transmissions, and I was wondering that will the V88 support the Vanos in S65 or not? Did you come to any conclusion if the S85 vanos supported in V88 works in S65? Of course there is a lot more in those new S engines to manage than just the cams, ignition and fueling. If I´ve understood correctly the oil sump system for example needs some management depending on which side you are cornering to scavenge the oil from right side of the engine and probably the cooling system isn´t standard. But those shouldn´t be big problems to solve, I can always use some other devices to manage those.

So if the V88 supports S65 Vanos I might even think of getting my hands on S65. I don´t wanna change the engine management system to something else...

Of course I would be out of my mind if I throw away all the work done with the M60 so far, but hey, whatever turns up the motivation to spend all nights in garage is always reasonable...

• 2 years later...

I'm not strong on my BMW knowledge since we dont see many of these big ones down here in NZ, but my brief research suggests the S65 has 8 Vanos solenoids?  It seems a separate adv/retard solenoid for each cam? If so we cant control all of those.

I'm not sure if @integrale8v engine had 8 solenoids so hopefully he will have more info.

We dont have any info on the throttle either sorry.

@Adamw The s65b40 is the engine from the E90 M3, this engine has 4 solenoids (v8 engine).      The s60b50 from the M5 e39 has 8 solenoids.

The vanos control shal be ok with the S85 v10 setting but I dont know of direct solution for the DBW and iacv.    The most common  approach is to modify the DBW and replace the iacv valves.

Thanks for the info integrale8v, that will come in handy next time I get asked.

Those schematics for the DBW above dont really give enough info but it appears like they may be controlled fairly conventionally and the CAN is possibly just for diagnostics? 

• 10 months later...