DIY vipec display

lekonna

hi all, i have it all working end to end, now just some final code to change the numbers on my display. very excited and cant wait to have it all working for final demo. very excited. only issue i have is i dont have oil temp, oil pressure or exhaust temp sensors to the vipec yet so they wont show values just yet :(

hi support, one question, i want to pass EGT which i will have hooked upto AN Volt 6. will the output from this parameter in CANBUS be the actual voltage or the caluclated EGT value? I think i simply select AN Volt 6 and connect the relevant sensor and then choose Calc Table 5 for example to dial in the LOG scaling for EGT range.

Hi Paul,

Looking forward to the demo. If you have AN V6 set to 'EGT (0-5V)' then the data should come through as the EGT value and not the actual voltage.

The input to the volt channel will need to come from an EGT amplifier as the K type thermocouple can not be connected directly.

Scott

did a first test run yesterday, the update rate is pretty good and thats updating each value every time on the screen even if it doesnt change. i found TPS was pretty useless and gear wasnt quite right as i need to finish 5th and 6th gear calibration. i found the stand too big and i couldnt see the values properly on the angle. but the reliablity was perfect with the CAN protocol working as needed and my code being stable - theres no error checking in it.

i found a $3.95 plastic case at jaycar that magically fits so ill ditch the 4d display stand and use this instead.
have also remodelled the display to suit more meaningful sensors until i order EGT, OIL Temp and Oil pressure.

the green square above 02 CL will come when vipec is running closed loop via wideband so it should cycle this light on at light cruise.

ill order another apexi stand as this fits my requirements perfectly and it should match the existing dash setup

IMG_1544.JPG

display.png

Yeah I found quickly some things were pointless and others were more important hence the number of changes. Still need to document the whole build and finalise my new sensors and cabling so that the arduino can sit in the glovebox and my display sits on a dash mounted stand

very happy with it so far and glad to have CANBUS working on the vipec. Once the protocol is working and we understand how sensors come across the stream the possibilities are endless for what can be shown and how to represent it. For example I want a light to come on when closed loop is actively trimming fuel and I wanted oil pressure in kgcm2 not KPA. These are all possible 

Yeah in comparison it looks heaps better than the Apexi RSM. The RSM runs a Vacuum fluroscent display and it's basically dot matrix. The uLCD32 is really sharp and bright. At night is amazing. The iPhone video capture and YouTube format really dull down quality of the display in the video 

• 2 weeks later...

managed to get an extension cable made up succesfully using 3 x PC USB Dupont cables which are a 5 pin flat cable - the exact same type used by the arduino display adapter shield to the display screen so i have 2.7m of 5 pin loom cable shielded which is plenty long enough to get behind the evo dash and into the glovebox. tested and works well. new sensors next

I know this post is old. Any one here interested in showing their code? I just want to look at the interfaces and a overall board design so I can get a little feel for this. I am doing some basic with this but still have some stuff to do and other things.

Paul has and is still working on this, so probably has some good tips (and possibly some code?) too.

Scott

this is where im upto with the current display. some minor changes, now includes oil temp, oil pressure and exhaust temp.
also included knock display status from the vipec and global knock triggered times # which reflects # of times vipec has trigger excessive knock and cut timing.

demo.png

i cant find a good symbol for pressure so i used *

I know this post is old. Any one here interested in showing their code? I just want to look at the interfaces and a overall board design so I can get a little feel for this. I am doing some basic with this but still have some stuff to do and other things.

hi,

The board design is a simple arduino Uno with two shields (CANBUS shield & 4d displays systems shield). No other changes are required to the board and these are off the shelf items.

the rest of the solution is simple arduino code to drive the CANBUS adapter and then display values on the 4d display.

happy to post my code when it's finished

also included knock display status from the vipec and global knock triggered times # which reflects # of times vipec has trigger excessive knock and cut timing.

The Knock count is quite interesting. Probably something most people have no idea of unless they are looking back through logs.

Scott

Yeah I wanted to know that knock system is active (green box indicator) and also want to see how many times the vipec detects knock over the target value and cuts timing. Then I can sit at home analyse the logs and adjust the tune properly or diagnose cause of knock.

I'm used to the PFC style knock alert which flashes the engine light so I'll probably do this as well but it's nice to see how many times the target has been reached 

• 4 weeks later...