DIY vipec display

lekonna

I have a friend at work helping me, who has done heaps of electrical engineering and has done adruino's before etc so he is well equipped

I think first we will do the setup in the first post using the ardruino and the LCD display and then once it all works, we will tackle if we can make a CANBUS pass through box to feed the KMS display manipulated CANBUS packets from the VIPEC so the KMS display shows them correctly. This saves me selling my ecu and buying a Link G4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes will do once finished. With regards to the "twisted" CAN Lo Hi wires I was thinking of using a pair of wires from a Cat5 Ethernet cable as these are pre twisted to an industry standard already. I.e use the green / light green pair from inside a Cat5 lead as my CAN cable. Would this be OK?

• 2 weeks later...

this is how i plan on setting it up. ill have to cut the metal cover plate as all the cables dont fit out of the front of the face plate no more. ill cut the CANPCB lead and fit my colour matched CAT5 lead to the green and white pair and away we go

IMG_0945.JPG

cool :) make a little youtube video. I'm sure there are others interested in something like this.

Hi Scott

i remember speaking on the phone a year ago about the data stream from V series 

as you can see i got it now, fully working at 7 fps and logging the data on SD (1Mb per 1hour, all 56 parameters)

BUT...... there is always one but

i flipped my whole code upside down and i still can not read DI6 which suppose to be %Ethanol.

i see the reading on the laptop, but not on the screen.

i read DI3, DI4 properly and see them on the screen that are streamed before

i read Target AFR and see that on the screen as well, streamed after 

you can see in the log file, the values are correct before and after DI6 but it shows zero

as per the short/long data stream description it is a word with multiplier 1, offset 0 and no decimal point

please HEEEEELP

Capture.PNG

Hi ssddaa,

The serial long data-stream contains 'DI6 Speed' and 'DI 6 Freq', if you look at the parameters in the runtime value window of PCLink/VTS, what do they read? Your screenshot above shows DI 6 Speed, where-as I would expect DI 6 Frequency to show the data.

log file has DI6 speed only because I named all parameters in array in my code. The stream contains the data but reads 0 all time. in runtime values it shows 56.9Hz. If shown as % ethanol then it shows 6, and also the temperature reads correct in VTS screen. I write the code so any data can be calculated and adjusted to correspond to the real number, sadly it reads 0 only. if you look at the figures, you will see that all numbers are raw data (as sent from the ECU)

Capture1.PNG Capture.PNG

i saw in the software update log what do you mean. 4.9.9 onwards does not stream frequency data for digital inputs. so it means my code is good and ECU stream is right. how to trick the ECU to send any data as speed then???????????????????????

Edited by ssddaa
pics

So we had a look today, and you (and our documentation) are correct, from firmware 4.9.9 onwards the Digital Input frequency is not transmitted. Unless you need something in version 4.9.9 (or later), I would recommend downgrading your firmware to version 4.9.8 so that you can receive the frequency of DI6 over serial.

If you do need firmware 4.9.9 (or later) one way to trick the ECU will be to set DI6 to an unused speed function (maybe Ground Spd Left), then enter a calibration number of 360. This will result in your speed and frequency number being the same. You could then allocate 'SPEED DI 6' as an axis on the 4D fuel table. Set the row headings to range from 50 to 150, as this is the output range of the ethanol content sensor.

The serial data stream will output a range of 50 to 150 also, and you will have to make your logger convert this into % ethanol.

Edited by Scott

thank you for confirming that Scott

i really want to leave downgrading option as last resort (a lot more to modify in my code)

i figured out the DI6 speed possibility but i believe i will loose the ethanol temp that way, is there any way of keeping the duty as well, so then it can be recalculated as temperature in my code 

i figured out the DI6 speed possibility but i believe i will loose the ethanol temp that way, is there any way of keeping the duty as well, so then it can be recalculated as temperature in my code 

I don't think there is any other way to bring in the ethanol temp.

• 2 weeks later...