DIY vipec display

lekonna

Looking at the limit flags defintion (frame 13) in the CAN packets, I was wondering if there is a way to generate a limit packet on demand? I want to use the in-built IC spray button on the evo 8/9 to trigger a Limit Flags defintion packet via CAN so that my CAN display when it see's this special limit value it changes the display mode.

Just limits the amount of buttons I need on the CAN display and integrates the design into the existing car's buttons.

Does this make sense? is there some way i can dummy up an AUX or Virtual AUX to watch the IC spray manual button on the evo and trigger some sort of CAN packet or CAN limit flags packet? my CAN coder can then watch the CAN stream for this special value or packet and change the display mode

Hi, I've had a look through the limit flag list, but don't see how you can do this. For example, the speed limit can be activated by a digital input, but the actual limit status only comes active when the speed of the vehicle is faster than the specified speed.

One possible way to make it work is to connect a digital input switch to a spare AN Volt or temp AN Temp channel (if you have one). Then set the An Volt/An Temp channel to an unused parameter that will not the tune, but is contained in the Generic Dash stream. Perhaps something like Oil Temp or Oil Pressure. Flicking the switch will cause the Oil Temp or Oil Pressure to change, and your arduino dash can monitor for this change and cause the display mode to change. You would need to set the AN Volt/An Temp channel fault limits so that a fault code is not triggered when the switch is flicked.

Scott

i tried CANBUS tonight, no good, no matter how hard I try the vipec will not use any other channels other than 360 or 1000. ive tried storing, reloading, restarting the car, save, closing etc etc

its stuck on Id of 1000 and nothing works. check out the vipec run time values screen below, is something internally cooked or are these red cos theres no active CANBUS stream? my ardruino assumes Channel ID 0 but vipec wont let me choose this channel Id, even putting 0 then hitting apply or save it accepts it, but if i go back its back to 1000 again

vipec1.png

vipec2.png

Hi Paul, Interesting about not being able to use anything but 1000, this is  the CAN ID that 'Generic Dash' was always sent out on to various dashes, and I have not tried alternatives. Using a CAN ID of 0 is not allowed on our current G4+ firmware, however 1 is ok, so I would say that 0 is not a valid CAN bus ID number due to how CAN bus works.

Do you have your arduino device and the Vi-PEC communicating at the same bit rate? Also are you sure you have CAN L and CAN H wired correctly?

thanks, just lookign at lekkonna's code on page one of this thread, he used ID 0 and it worked Ok for him/her? I assume his/her CAN code for the ardruno expects ID 0 so thats why Im trying to use ID 0.

even if I try and put in Id 444 and click OK, the VTS software never saves the ID, it always defaults back to the "saved" channel IDs. ill record a video if you want to demo the issue if it helps

i think ive worked out why i dont get any comms. im using an Rj45 to serial plug as that was seen to be easier, but it appears inside the RJ45 to serial shell, all the pinouts are not mapped 1 for 1 so therefore wires are missing

ill try a raw serial cable

Hi Paul, I just had a play with this and was able to recreate the problem with the CAN ID resetting to 0. I played a bit further and found if I hit enter after typing in the desired CAN ID everything was ok. Let us know how it goes with the serial cable.

Scott

Edited by Scott

thanks, got it working as you mentioned by pressing enter. still no comms output to ardrunio with using hard wired serial cable

did you see the error status screens under "runtime values" - are these errors anything to worry about ? now working on channel ID 0 but still no comms at the ardruino side - will check with my coder

You shouldn't have any errors when everything is working correctly. With most aftermarket devices the only things that go wrong are Can H and CAN L reversed, or the bit rates of all devices on the CAN bus are not the same. However your device is a bit different, worthwhile talking with your developer.

Scott

will talk to my coder on monday and see if we can work out whats happening.

our design is a little different as dashboard space for my car i want to be clean and free of messy wires and boxes etc so we going to do something like this;

proto.png

ive double checked my pin outs and found an issue which ive fixed and im certain its right now (famous last words). one thing i want to be absolutely certain of, there are no other wires required other than CAN HI and CAN LO. what about ground between the vipec and the CAN device? they dont share a ground wire or anything like that?

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, we fixed a number of issues and now have a working canbus board, in short, we changed the ardunio board, hopefully can demo it tonight.

ECU Reader
initializing can
initing the mcp2515
pins are set up
mcp2515 in configuration mode
speed set
interrupt activated
Can init ok
1135:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0
1199:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0
1282:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0
1364:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0
1447:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0
1531:OiT=-50,OiP=0,AFR=0,FuP=0,Map=0,IaT=0,Ign=0,Vbt=0,Spd=0,ECT=0,Idc=0,lmc=0

is there any way to check i have my CAN wires correct, i.e what happens if CAN wires are backwards? how else can i verify the vipec is sending CAN packets properly? I assume it is but it would be great to confirm 100%. ill do some more debuggin in my code to try and see if the CAN sheild is actually receiveing any packets from the vipec

is there any way to check i have my CAN wires correct, i.e what happens if CAN wires are backwards? how else can i verify the vipec is sending CAN packets properly? I assume it is but it would be great to confirm 100%. ill do some more debuggin in my code to try and see if the CAN sheild is actually receiveing any packets from the vipec

I suspect it is in the code itself rather a hardware problem

thanks and probably agree, just i have no way of knowing or checking, other than a lot of serial.print statements in each of the main blocks to work out if im actually receiving canbus packets or not.

once im receiving packets i can troubleshoot the rest no problems, but im not even sure im receiving packets from the vipec properly.

Edited by paulr33

The easiest way to test the Vi-PEC output would be to use another device like a dash, but that probably isn't an option unless you know someone you can borrow one from. Another option is to use an oscilloscope or logic analyser to look at the CAN H and CAN L.

Scott

can someone confirm the vipec will send can packets with the key set to ON, but engine not running? I assume as as all the vipec status stuff looks OK and the ECU is alive and reads all the sensors etc... its just this is how i am testing if CANBUS is working or not, plugging into the CAN HI and LO wires with the car key ON but engine not running. have tried a million different vipec CAN settings, try store/save, car off, car on and still no packets from VIPEC.

do i need to request packets from the vipec (i.e ask for Engine RPM) and then the vipec will send it, or will it instantly fire packets out the CANBUS from the "selected" values on the CAN configurations. thats what im expecting, the second i plug in, i see a crapton of CAN packets on the BUS and its all the sensors ive ticked on the "CAN configuration" page. is my understanding and expectation correct?

also last time i plugged in and opened VTS, before even doing "Connect to ECU" it came up with....

"CAN is not supported by this version of firmware, upgrade firmware and try again"

whats that all about? running 4.10.2 (serial 5224) with vipec v44 topboard with the CAN fix already applied