DIY vipec display

lekonna

thanks JMP, thats what i thought. im expecting a crapton of CAN packets once it works, even if the values are 0's at least i would recieve valid CAN packets on the bus network. still stuck with no real way out :( ive msg'd lekonna the original devloper to check a few things but i cannot find out what on earth i am doing wrong.

all i can think of is

a) get a CAN emulator and give it to my friend to get it working (saves going to the garage each time)

or b ) get a CAN  sniffer but all that will do is confim vipec is ok (i think it is) and my wiring is right (100% certain, but you never know

"CAN is not supported by this version of firmware, upgrade firmware and try again"

That is unusual, has it only happened the one time?

JMP is correct, once powered up the VI-PEC should start firing out data onto the CAN bus without any need for a request or engine running.

Scott.

slight update, turns out the libraries define the clock speed and subsequent block sizes.  We were using a 16Mhz library and the can shield had an 8Mhz clock...  Replaced the 8Mhz clock with a 16Mhz and the comms is now working well :)

Testing with a really cheap shield: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMS-Free-shipping-6870C-0243C-LC420WUN-LC470WUN-SBA1-Logic-board-High-quality-Hot-sale/620222773.html

I think this issue the i have a the moment. im using the sparkfun can shield in the first post of this page and i think its a "cheap" canbus shield. ive brought a new canbus shield which has 16mhz on it from here so hopefully this works for me. https://tronixlabs.com.au/arduino/shields/can-bus/can-bus-shield-for-arduino-australia/

ok i will try with this new shield. The ardrunio has 12mhz and 16mz chips on it and the new CANBUS has 16mhz on it. The old CANBUS has no MHz markings on it anywhere. Even with a basic "loopback" test it wouldn't work on the current board and shield so I'll see if loopback test works ok the new shield 

good news, got it working first shot with new controller board. this is what it should look like using the simple CAN_RECIEVE test demo. ill write up a full howto for those playing at home as its taken me a good few weeks to get to this point

vipec-can.jpg

here are the values i am interested in and how i think it will map out, the benefit of the ardunio is that we can do whatever we like with the data, in any format. for example, i convert oil pressure to kgCM2 as i prefer it in that over KPA

Packet Map.png

my screen display has been shipped so should have it in a day or so. the display has a pretty powerful graphics library IDE system and i can pretty much do whatever within the code to display gauges, bar graphs, digit displays etc so the possibilities is endless. the one issue i have is screen size real estate as the display is 3.2" because i didnt want a mega display panel on my evo dash. ill do a full detailed write up including parts and part #'s once i have working

just looking at the data model, within the CAN packets i get hex values, but for things like AFR and oil pressure there is decimal values, i.e 4.4 bar oil pressure is very different to 4 or 5

how are decimal values managed inside the CAN hex values? The vipec documentation simply states RAW x 0.01?

here is quick video demo of the design. obviously random() values used etc

https://youtu.be/-JpSrB4BlTM

The Vi-PEC VSeries documentation didn't contain a lot of info on the resolution of parameters, mainly because there wasn't much ability for custom CAN. However on the iSeries/G4+ platform this changes, and in the CAN setup window there is a tab called 'Test Calculator' which displays info about the parameter, and also a calculator in which you can see what the CAN bus value will be for a certain for in PCLink. The way data works between the VSeries and iSeries/G4+ has not changed greatly, and you can use the test calculator offline, so it may be worth you downloading the software and having a play.

Scott

Test calculator.PNG

Ive got the final piece of the puzzle figured out so now i just need to do some good coding to handle the string data between the two units and capture some more test CAN packets
then i should be ok to handle data between the two and write CAN() values on the display. the problem is ill have to run two ardunio's in my glovebox and some messy wiring which sucks but i should be able to find some cases to put them in and seal it all up

thanks heaps for the additional info and the CAN test tool helps me map it all out without sitting in the garage reading packets all night =)

hopefully i can do a real demo soon