Back current issue CA18DET

Kostvold89

Hello, I have a CA18DET that I have mounted and wired a Vi-Pec v44 on. But I have a back current issue through the ECU and over the relay I use for the fuel injectors, CAS and boost controller.

Everything works fine until I turn off the ignition, then the injectors starts working and the light on the ECU is still on. I have wired it like in the manual. I have messured the voltage from the ignition lock, and that is ok. 12,5 when on, and 0 when off.

I have also tried to wire the ignition lock directly to the power for the ECU, and at the same time to the steering for the relays (stick 86?) But its the same problem.

The dealer in norway told me to wire inn a 200Ohm resistor on the steering wire for this relay, but this didnt help either.

If I disconnect the injectors and the boost controller, then everything is working perfect. I have tried another set of brand new injectors, but same problem with thoose.

If I connect only the boost controller and keep injectors out, I get 5,5v back current. And if I do opposite, and keep only boost controller out, I get 12,5v back current.

Any Ideas? I have not done wiring on Vi-pec before, but I have done on a other engine management system a couple times, and never had problem.

I know this may be wrong place for this topic, but I dont have permission to write in the Vi-pec support, I guess this is because I didnt remember my ECU number when registering, so I wrote 0000.

Kenneth

It depends on how you wire your Auxillary relay,

Make sure the power source to pin 86 (or 85 depends how you terminate it) on your relay turns off when the ignition is turned off.

If pin 86 stays live with the ignition off, it can create back feeding.

ANY auxillary controlled via a relay must have pin 86 setup this way.

There is also further instructions in the HELP FILE.

I have seen relays setup with Pin 30 (battery power) looped over to pin 86, this method will create back feeding as pin 86 always stays live.

Regards

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Thx, its worked out now ;) The engine is started and running good :)

But new problem, the IAT sensor shows -40 or -30 deegres celcius no matter who calibration I choose. The wires was marked with a sticker so I have not choosed wrong wires, and I use the sensor that came with the Vi-Pec management. It has done this all the time since new, so I have only put a false value in the map so it thinks the IAT is 20 degrees celcius all the time.

One dealer in norway measured a new sensor and it showed 2,9 K ohm in room temperature, while mine show 2,7x K ohm in almost room temperature.

Any ideas?

If you have the fault values set to 0V and 5V it will turn off the error detection.

You can check the function of the sensor by measuring the voltage on the signal wire to the ECU. The voltage should change with temperature.

You are certain the correct temp channel is selected?

Kenneth,

Disconnect the connector at the ecu and measure how many ohms between pin 16 (yellow/brown -temp 2) and pin 24 (green -sensor ground) with the tempsensor plugged in. It should show the same value as you measured at the sensor.

Setup an temp 2 in software as air temp and choose ntc as calibration.

Where in Norway are you located?

If you are not too far from me, I can travel home to you and look at it.

Regards

Ben Stian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The problem is worked out now. Im not hundred procent sure why it helped, but I put error High to 4.95V, Low to 0.00V and error value to 20 degrees. Then it showed right. The only difference from before is the Low value that is 0 instead of 0.05V.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Im from Hamar, Ben Stian, so I think its a little to far for you to just come one evening ;) But its working now, just do some adjustments on fuel and Ignition so I can be ready for the spring :)