Main/Fuel/Purge Relay Wiring

em3emcee

I'm new to this forum and automotive wiring in general but I'd like to ask for assistance in wiring up some standard SPDT/Bosch 30A relays. For reference, this is for a 1988 BMW M3 which I'll be using a V88 to have all my fun.

Here's what I've come up with for my install:

vm7Ns.png

Can anybody chime in here and offer help? The EVAP PURGE RELAY will be sending an output to close the purge valve (I think) and I'll figure out how to do that at a later date. Thanks.

I would apply 12 v positive to all of your relays pin 30 via a fused connection to the battery or common positive rail (bus bar) or insulated terminal post.

If you use Bosch 5 pin relays which are not change over style,

eg: have 2 pin 87's not 87 and 87a

This would simplify your relay assembally wiring.

Connecting your 2 pin 85 's for the purge relay and fuel pump relay directly to the main relay pin 87's

Regards

Dave.

Oh yea and one other thing: pin 85 is Ground/negative and 86 is ignition/positive. Normal relays will work both ways(85-, 86+ or 85+, 86-), but some relays have a diode inside and if connected wrong, it will shortcut your ignition switch to ground and blow the fuse.

• 2 weeks later...