Lean Out issue

MarcelB

Hi all , I recently completed my project , got it started and drove it a couple blocks with out any issue , after this I upgraded the yurbo from a GTR to the GTX version of the same turbo and all of a sudden everything has gone lean , even the cold start and idle parts of the map ! Is this wierd or is it normal? I checked the injectors fuel ump and regulator and found nothing wrong , any ideas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you sure your exhaust manifold or wg or turbine housing ect is not leaking ? sounds like a air leak before the wb to me ..

just fixed issue on ny 2jz with a china-made exhaust mani, the runners on that thing were just so wide that the toyota gasket was not wide enough, had to fill the snot out of em.

nokinen_tiivari.jpg

Hi , yes I am sure about this , I would definately hear any exhaust leak on a 13B rotary (LOUD exhaust!) but its not just the wideband , the car had no power and refused to rev out to get it to move I havd to stage the secondats lower at 100 Kpa, now it isnt starting at all :cry: I just find it difficult to believe that that turbo could cause all this ! It did go into boost when moving off in first gear but at start up and adle too ? i seriously doubt it !

Hi Marcel,

does your new GTX have the same A/R compressor and exhaust housings.

Are the compressor and exhaust compressor wheels the same trim as your GTR.

The GTX range have normally got better flow charactoristics to the GTR"s.

Better, easier spool up etc.

How lean is it ????

For what it's worth I upgraded to a GTX turbo last year from a Garrett/KKK hybrid, which was more different from the GTR which this GTX supersedes, and I did not have to touch any of the maps at low loads.

I figured it out , seems like the turbo really is the cause ! I removed the intercooler outlet pipe , reloded my previous map and it started right up .I also had to turn off the MAP limit (set at 110Kpa) since it was activating during tumbling !

I figured it out , seems like the turbo really is the cause ! I removed the intercooler outlet pipe , reloded my previous map and it started right up .I also had to turn off the MAP limit (set at 110Kpa) since it was activating during tumbling !

I was wrong :( the problem has worsened , it starts up then after a couple minutes idle it begins to progressively lean out until it stalls , sometimes too one rotor stops firing completely :!: based on this behavior I have decided to look at the fuel injectors , although they are brand new they might be screwing around.

• 4 weeks later...
Fuel injectors were the problem , DO NOT buy from 5 O MOTORSPORT!

NOPE THEY WEREN"T !! Man this is so frustrating ! I am experiencing the same problems with the brand new ID1000 injestors , so I guess there was nothing wrong with thw 550s in the first place. I think I need some help with this , Scott ? anybody ? have a look at my map and see if there is anything there.

Marcemixl13B.pcl

Fuel injectors were the problem , DO NOT buy from 5 O MOTORSPORT!

NOPE THEY WEREN"T !! Man this is so frustrating ! I am experiencing the same problems with the brand new ID1000 injestors , so I guess there was nothing wrong with thw 550s in the first place. I think I need some help with this , Scott ,Simon ? anybody ? have a look at my map and see if there is anything there.

Marcemixl13B.pcl

I'll have a look over your base-map. In the mean time can you do a PC Log of the car starting up and then the problem occurring? Make sure you are logging all the parameters including wideband.

Cheers,

Scott

I did another test , I staged the secondarys to turn on in vacuum and at 500RPMs ........the motor remained idleing and was able to be revved out and driven! so I guess this means I have a couple of bad injector drivers :!: :cry: I will be removing it and sending it to my local dealer to verify in another vehicle , will post what we find.

Also check the injector settings (peak and hold currents) if these are too low it can cause issues with the injectors not opening or being very lazy to open.

You can also use the test injector function to confirm the injectors are firing with out having to run the engine.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope? If yes it could be worth looking at the injector drive output to confirm if this is the problem.

No , I do not own one.

Also check the injector settings (peak and hold currents) if these are too low it can cause issues with the injectors not opening or being very lazy to open.

You can also use the test injector function to confirm the injectors are firing with out having to run the engine.

The injectors are high impedance ,http://www.injectordynamics.com/IDInstructions.html , as for the tes function , i've used it and both of them respond fine. My local dealer has installed it and run it on another car for 2 hours and according to him it runs perfectly so I guess I'll be looking at the tuning again. :cry:

How do you have the injectors configured.

Number and size of primaries and number and size of secondary injectors.

The staging set up does look odd as you are gearing to run most of you flow through the secondaries.

How do you have the injectors configured.

Please explain what you are asking here.

Number and size of primaries and number and size of secondary injectors.

The staging set up does look odd as you are gearing to run most of you flow through the secondaries.

I have a pair of 1000cc primaries , one per rotor and two pairs of 2200 secondaries (yes 4 in total!!!) , yes I did set it so that most of the flow would be through the larger secondaries since I plan to push the boost on the turbo/motor to 30 psi.....its a HUGE turbo, Any ideas where I should start to check ?

Please explain what you are asking here.

I have a pair of 1000cc primaries , one per rotor and two pairs of 2200 secondaries (yes 4 in total!!!) , yes I did set it so that most of the flow would be through the larger secondaries since I plan to push the boost on the turbo/motor to 30 psi.....its a HUGE turbo, Any ideas where I should start to check ?

sorry for the OT but DAMN! this sounds like an interesting build! please add pics and videos somewhere once the problems are sorted out.

Hi

Only thing I can see that I would call as out of the norm is the settings in the Sec Injection Table

I have attached an image of what I would run.

Since the secondarys would be off at this point I don't see how this would help , but I'll try anuthing right about now :|

So we suspected that there was an issue with the injector voltage supply , maybe something was causing it to attenuate so I did all the voltage and continuity tests and put in a relay which supplies power directly from the battery just to be sure .............. NO CHANGE :x problem still exists :!: :cry: