changing injectors

rune

Hi Rune,

Make sure your injector drivers are set to Saturated and set the Injector Dead time values for the new injectors.

Then readjust your fuel master value.

You must also take into consideration of what the new injectors recommended operating fuel pressure is.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Rune,

your injectors are high impedance you stated, therefore you must set the injectors up as saturated, peak and hold are not required or adjustable in this mode.

The PEAK and HOLD adjustment is for low impedance (Peak and Hold) style injectors.

Regards

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started the car yesterday and it ran smooth for aboit 5 min then it started to act weird.Seems like its something wrong either with spark or fuel.It doesnt run properly on all sylinders.5 min and then suddenly something happened.Starting to believe I got dirt in new injectors or a defect wire somewhere.I cant see anything wrong that the ecu monitore.will the ecu tell me if a sensor wire are damaged?

Hi Rune,

if an input sensor wire is damaged it should show a fault, as far as an open circuit or short to ground etc is concerned.

If the engine runs ok for 5 minutes and then runs bad, what exactly are the symptoms.

Does it stall, if so, does it restart straight away, etc, etc,

Does it start and run fine until it warms up.

What does your AFR read when it plays up.

Have you checked your sparkplugs to see if they are black and sooty or wet with fuel.

What did you set your fuel master to.

Regards

Dave.

I was in my garage checking sparks 30 min ago. They where all great With a tad less spark from cyl 6.I cleaned plugs and tryed to start it again and it was running fine for a few minutes again. When it hit about 50c water temp it started to misfire again.afr was around 13.5 or something.At first I redused master fuel to compensate for New injectors but Now I redused fuel table With 30% . It should be right but I also had to reduce master from 13 to7 ms to get right afr.I went from 800 to 1100 fic injectors. I changed to saturated and put in New dead times.I dont understand much right now:)

The other think I can think of is that the dead time table for the injectors is from 6 to 15 volt. The dead time values I got With the injectors is 8.10.12.14 volts. To be able to fill in all of the table I took the values eks 10 and 12 volts, added them and divided With 2. that number I put in 11 volts. Can I do that?

Hi Rune,

can you post your PCL file so I can have a look at it for you, please.

So basically, all you have done is changed your fuel injectors, no other mechanical changes or fuel type changes etc.

Are the TPS and MAP sensors calibrated.

No error codes.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Rune,

how much E85 / Flex fuel are you running at present.

Load the modified PCL file I have attached into your ecu.

Start the engine and let me know the outcome.

Take note of the AFR while warming up.

You may have to modify the warm up enrichment table values I have created for you.

I have also changed how your idle ignition timing activated and the table itself.

Another note, your fuel master is set to 8.

However your fuel main table numbers are very low all in the 20's basically.

You need to set the table up so that in boost your main fuel table values are above 50, aim for around 60 -70 at least.

This PCL file is purely a test file to see if we can get your engine running for you with the changes you have made.

Recheck your ignition timing is correct.

Calibrate the MAP sensor and check that you are getting full throttle with your DBW setup.

Regards

Dave.

RUNE E85 START UP TUNE ViPEC FORUM.pcl

At first I started to reduce master fuel from 13 ms to 9 for compensating for injectors.It didnt work and I had to reduce to 4 ms to get afr about right.I went back to old settings and changed the whole fuel table with 30%.It should be about spot on but I still had to lower master fuel to make it run :roll:

I will test with youre modified map now to see how it works.I think ignition has to be added during worm up.Thanks Rune

It didnt run at all With test map. I changed map and it barely fired. Inspected and cleanded plugs and it fired but not well. All plugs looks the same.I reduced fuel table 30% and master fuel from 13 to 6 ms to make it run. I also added ignition in idle table With no Luck.It does not fire on all sylinders. Its strange as it somethimes run well for a few minutes. I forgot to mention its a vvti so I run wasted spark

Hi Rune,

if you get it to fire up, can you keep the engine running if you put your foot on the throttle pedal or set the DBW Target table to a higher value so the throttle blade opens up more.

If you rev the engine when it does run, does it cut out straight away or does it backfire through the intake or any other symptoms you can give.

If you can get it to run again, while it is running hit the F2 key and save as RUNE RUNNING FILE.

Make sure the engine is running when you save the file, this way I can analyse the runtime data to see if I can find anything.

In the file I sent you I turned off closed loop lambda control, changed your idle ignition table setup etc.

I haven't made any changes to any fuel settings, other than changing your warm up enrichment table, the Y axis was setup as Foot Pedal % vs RPM.

See if you can capture that data and post the PCL file up so I can have a look.

Can you also download the latest software and upgrade your firmware in your ECU, you are currently running 4.9.1 very old.

May I ask why you ran wasted spark on this engine and not sequential, what coils are you using, smart or dumb.

Regards

Dave.

I run oem vvti coils and they are for wasted spark.It worked great before I had to rebuild engine and did the tuning.I will trye the new map and save a file.It seems like its a timing issue right now but Im not an expert.A friend who has tuned a lot of vipec ecus are coming over soon, hope he understand more than me

Is my map set up correct for the ethanol sensor? I removed aircon request from DI 4 as I dont have AC and put in gm ethanol sensor. I use a zeitronix but I Guess they do the same. I got a map from another member With almost identical car and tried to set up the map from what he did.Thanks Rune

Hi Rune,

in the last PCL file I sent you I had changed some of the trigger setups.

Triggers 1 and 2 both had their arming threshold voltages set high.

I reset them to default for your engine.

Also under the VVTi tab I noticed your offset was set 650 deg ATDC instead of 170 deg ATDC, so I have set that back to default also.

I was curious as to why the VVTi offset was set so high.

Have you rechecked your valve timing all lines up since you have refitted your head and tried starting the engine.

Or done a compression test.

Just a couple of extra suggestions.

Regards

Dave.

With the map you sendt it runs like a champ.The trigger adjustment did the trick.I also had some problems with e throttle which we solved.It runs great now so I guess I leave it like this and let the tuner do the rest.For the zeitronix ff sensor is it ok to just put it in DI 4? Does the 4d tables read from DI 4 automaticly or does it need other comands? Many thanks Rune