AEM MAP and IAT Sensor

Shadow

Hi,

I have installed AEM 5 Bar MAP Sensor and AEM IAT sensor but I can't find them in the drop-down menu.

Is there a pre-config of these sensors I can use, or do I have to configure it with a cal table?

Tried to configure the MAP sensor with a cal table, but I couldn't type in a minus value in the table (-14.7 PSIa)

Yes you need to CAL table them.

You cant put in a negative value cause they are absolute values. Mening that what you and i breathe in at sea level is 14.7 psi. Not 0. So your -14.7 should be set to 0.

About your ait sensor

Select a cal table

Set input units to Ohms

Output units to Celsius

Output start table to -40

Increments to 10

Set theese values it the table at the different temps. (65000 at the -40, 45000 in the -30 and so on)

If Celcius isnt you cup of tea then convert to fit..

Hi Shadow,

set your MAP sensor up as per my screen shot, however you will have to scale your 0-5 volt outputs to represent the vacuum and positive pressure as I don't know what they are.

This should work.

Ignore the Digital guage reading as it was already reading 85 Kpa in the base map I used for this demo.

Regards

Dave.

post-1099-143450214942_thumb.gif

Hi,

depends on how much boost you wish to run.

I will set the example up for 15 psi boost.

In my examples are using a straight CAL 4 and also a cal table 1 which can produce a more linear curve to match your sensor.

However some of the voltages are guesstimated to match the pressure value, some of the values can not be exactly replicated in the cal 1.

However if you spend the time you will end up with a much more accurate MAP value.

Regards

Dave.

post-1099-143450214951_thumb.gif

Hmm OK, I think I'm starting to understand how it works now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Volt output for the MAP sensor is absolute. Which means -14.7 PSI is 0.5V and 60.3 PSI is 4.5V. If I will be running 29 PSI boost, the MAP sensor will send 2.85(ish) volts to the ECU An-Input. Am I correct?

So the tables will look like this (values for Cal 2 are guesstimated):

post-1672-14345021496_thumb.jpg

Hi Shadow,

Sorry I just realised you are using a 5 BAR MAP sensor.

I only used the 1 BAR sensor specs, sorry.

So your MAP sensor should be P/No 30-2130-75.

What you have done is correct.

I have added the properties for the Dial gauge so you can read the vacuum as well.

Your guesstimated voltages on your cal are a little different than mine in some areas however, either set will put you in the ballpark.

If you use a mechanical gauge and open the runtime values list F12 and monitor the MAP voltage at the mechanical gauge readings of boost and vacuum, you will be able to build a lot more accurate cal file scaling.

But try using each of the Cal files we have created, obviously one at a time and see how accurate each is compared to a mechanical gauge.

Regards

Dave.

post-1099-143450214968_thumb.gif

For some reason you are both using Celsius for a MAP sensor... just saying ;)

Hi Steve,

Well spotted mate, a lot of people wouldn't even notice.

The reason we are using Deg C as the basis of our scale as it will allow us to use negative values.

At the end of the day it could be chickens we use as it is purely used as a reference to achieve a desired output reading.

I will put in a request for this feature to be added, so that INCHS/HG and PSI or just -ve PSI (vacuum) and +ve (boost) pressure can be chosen.

Regards

Dave.

OK, I just got home from the garage and I am getting readings for both the IAT and MAP sensor, so the settings works (even if I would like the MAP values to show in BAR) :)

I also had to use a cal for my PLX AFR and it works as well. But when I add a Digital Gauge, it will only show lambda, not AFR. Is there any option to change this?

I'm not sure if I should use this topic for my next step issue, but i'll post them here and we can move it later on:

The idle is at 1200 RPM even though I have set the idle RPM to 800 for the operating Celsius range it is working in. THe engine is also over fueling, like... a lot!

The lowest AFR value to show is 10, but I am pretty sure mine is way way lower. When I reduce the fuel in the fuel table, it starts revving. I reduced the value in the fuel table for the operating area at idle. Little by little I reduced it down to 2, to see if I could get the car to go any leaner. The AFR would only raise to 10,3 ish and the RPM was at 4500. I'm using the ID2000cc injectors, but I haven't set it up correctly yet. But it should not rev that much anyway? It needs more air to do so as well. I would guess it get extra air from somewhere, but I can't find any leaks around the intake manifold.

Here is the PCL file:

S14basemap+change_start06.05.14.pcl

Hi Shadow,

firstly looking at your data logs etc, you need to setup the properties of anything to do with your MAP sensor as a min and maximum setting.

Right click on the data log page or anywhere that the AEM MAP sensor data will be displayed such as a value list etc.

You need to set the MAP parameter up as MANUAL not AUTOMATIC.

Set your MINIMUM value to - 15 and your MAXIMUM to 60.

To change the output reading of a gauge such as LAMBDA to AFR, you need to go to the OPTIONS tab at the top of the page,

Go to the UNITS page and you will have METRIC, IMPERIAL or OPTIONS.

Select options and in both the Metric and Imperial setup tabs, select AFR instead of Lambda.

Or if you press the "U" key on any page it will convert the displays from METRIC to IMPERIAL and vice versa.

Also check your Target AFR /Lambda table as you have started it at 2.9 psi positive pressure with target values of14.7 all the way up to 10.2 psi positive pressure.

You need to rescale you Y axis back to -ve values also, otherwise your AFR is dangerously lean.

I had surgery yesterday and I am in a lot of pain, but I am going to run your PCL up on my i88 and simulator to test the boost gauge setup and outputs etc.

As for it running very rich, firstly you need to confirm what manifold vacuum or PSI, MGP, MGP PSI your MAIN FUEL TABLE is running at.

What value is the Y axis and how many rpm is the engine idling at.

Have you carried out a TPS and MAP sensor calibration and pressed F4 to save these values to the ECU.

As for the idle speed, until you get the idle mixtures etc under control I wouldn't bother with that at all.

However you can try adjusting the IDLE BASE POSITION TABLE values to start with.

I will create PCL file for you to try with your injectors etc setup.

Give me some time however, on lots of pain killers so I am a little slow today.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I hope your surgery went well. If you are in a lot of pain you really don't have to help me with all of this :)

As for the MAP log: Can I just change MAP parameters for the existing one, or do I have to create a new parameter with AN Volt 6 (can't change the unit if I create a new)?

The output readings for the units is set to AFR in metric and imperial, but the problem is still there with the "New view

Target AFR: Shall I change the target AFR Y axis to AN V5 AEM MAP sensor or leave it at MAP? I can't change the Y axis to a minus value, "error: Y axis values must range between 0 and 60000.

As for it running very rich, firstly you need to confirm what manifold vacuum or PSI, MGP, MGP PSI your MAIN FUEL TABLE is running at.

Do you mean confirming the parameters or see where in the table the idling is at?

I have calibrated the TPS and MAP sensors and saved it to the ECU.

If you could make a PCL file for me to test I would be very very grateful :D

Thanks a lot for the help Dave. I really appreciate it!

Hi mate,

too late, I have already started.

What fuel pressure are you running, so I can setup the correct dead times.

Does your engine have aftermarket camshafts etc.

Basically can you list the parts or specs for engine,

Turbo stock or bigger, exhaust manifold stock or custom etc, etc.

More info the better.

Yes I wanted to know what the MAP reading is when the engine is idling, the Y AXIS of the MAIN FUEL TABLE.

Your MAIN FUEL table Y axis is setup as MGP PSI so at idle it should read -??? at idle.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Oh.. thank you so much :D

My engine spec is:

SR20DET

256 degree cams (Tomei Poncams)

86.5mm bore (Supertech Pistons)

PTE 5128 turbo

Tomei manifold

Tomei 1.2mm head gasket

ID2000cc injectors

60mm throttle body

OEM intake manifold

Removed VVT (because of 265lbs dual valve springs)

E85

Audi R8 coil pack

Fuel pressure at 2.5bar (36.2 PSI)

Fuel pump 255cc lph walbro

It's a strange setup. My original plan was to change to a 300hp turbo on stock engine. I took a wrong turn on a tuning webshop somewhere i guess.

Hi mate,

I should have your PCL finished later today.

I was in a lot of pain yesterday and the pain killers put me to sleep.

I also spoke with ASHLEY, LINK- ViPEC engineer regarding your AEM map sensor.

It appears we will have to rescale the cal in KPa values not PSI as the background mathematics and processing used by the CPU does not understand the PSI values.

It requires MAP and then the ECU can do the conversion back to PSI.

I will rescale the cal to KPa and set the rest up for you.

Are you using E85 all of the time ?

Can you lift your fuel pressure to around 43 psi please.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave,

That sounds wonderful :D

Are you feeling any better? If you are in a lot of pain you should save your energy :)

Good to know later on that the CPU does not understand the PSI values.

It is not a problem for me to read the values in KPa, so that will be fine.

I will be using E85 all of the time yes. The smell of old tequila is way better than the smell of gasoline :D

I can lift the fuel pressure up to 43 psi. I'm using the Aeromotive FPR so that's no problem.

Hi Dave,

I will be running maximum 29 psi of boost and 8500 rpm.

I will also be using E85 without a flex fuel sensor.

The E85 here is 90% accurate. I can ask the gas stations about the percentage ethanol they got atm. So that is not an issue :)

Hi mate,

sorry for the delay, I will finish your cal file today, I ended up in hospital again last night and got home at 4:30 this morning it is 8:46am at my place right now.

I am in extreme pain and told to take it easy, so finishing your cal file and testing it seems like a good way to chill out.

Regards

Dave.