EVO 8 V44 plugin - no knock or speed input?

paulr33

from the manual

Later model vehicles (2000 onwards) may have difficultly operating with the Internal knock detection circuitry. This is due to the use of "2nd Harmonic" knock sensors that some manufactures are factory fitting. There are two solutions to this problem: 1. Contact your nearest Vi-PEC dealer for the purchase of an after-market knock sensor.

I am trying to use the factory 4g63 sensor but happy to replace with an aftermarket unit if someone can tell me what sensor will work with the link knockblock and what sensor settings to select on the box, i.e FREQ setting

I have no experience with the knock block as it was before I started working for Link.  But a couple of comments from looking at your log:  

You are only logging at 10Hz, that is not going to give a good picture of what is going on.  ECU logging in the V series was a bit restrictive and doesnt give you the individual cylinder levels etc.  I would suggest doing a PC log at 40Hz with all parameters logged so we have a bit more info to go on.

It also sounds like you might need to change to a wideband sensor but try it with what you have now before jumping to conclusions.  

see attach 40hz log from my car tonight. the log data pattern for knock follows engine load so i think the sensor is working, but again it still shows the data pattern where in one cell its 0 knock level then the next cell its almost at the max range, i.e

Section time: 98.225 - knock level global: 0
Section time: 98.25 - knock level global: 620

Thanks for your help

Log 22-03-19 9;03;34 pm.zip

ok ive found the issue, its how its calculating per cyclinder and the overall aggregate, see below. it says global level is 0 but it shows numbers per cyclinder still

1024093310_dataset.thumb.png.359cd8625248554fa785bbc50234af38.png

ill do some work on this tonight and see what the issue is, thanks for your help

Looks like it is showing a reasonable trend to me.  Knock level global as far as I know is the unwindowed/unprocessed raw level from the knock input and I suspect it is not relevent when using the external processing system.  You need to use the knock level 1 & 2.  Since you are wasted spark, 3 & 4 will just be identical to 1 & 2.

WHYyOW6.png

Is there a recommended rpm I should be travelling at when I do gear ratio calc in each gear? Evo 8 runs 6 speed close ratio and currently I get quiet a bit of “gear 0” in my logs. I’ll re do all calcs in every gear from scratch, I was thinking 3500rpm in every gear when I do calibrate ?

also for the onboard boost control is there a specific solenoid you recommend? I have an eBoost2 and want to use per-gear control so can I re-use that solenoid or should I get a new Vipec compatible one? The wire to the ecu “aux 2” on my v44 evolution 9 is this a Switched ground to the solenoid? 

15 hours ago, paulr33 said:

Is there a recommended rpm I should be travelling at when I do gear ratio calc in each gear? Evo 8 runs 6 speed close ratio and currently I get quiet a bit of “gear 0” in my logs. I’ll re do all calcs in every gear from scratch, I was thinking 3500rpm in every gear when I do calibrate ?

No specific RPM requirement, somewhere around there will be fine.  Another option besides driving it is just to jack the wheels up off the ground and drive it on the spot.

16 hours ago, paulr33 said:

also for the onboard boost control is there a specific solenoid you recommend? I have an eBoost2 and want to use per-gear control so can I re-use that solenoid or should I get a new Vipec compatible one?

That will be fine.  

16 hours ago, paulr33 said:

The wire to the ecu “aux 2” on my v44 evolution 9 is this a Switched ground to the solenoid? 

The aux outputs are lowside drive (switch to ground).  

• 7 months later...

Hi team,

I’ve noticed the v44 has its own global variables that are saved when the car is off. I.e engine starts, knock count etc. is there a way to make your own variable?

i want to keep track off I/C spray run time, I.e how many seconds the I/C spray has been used for 

7 hours ago, paulr33 said:

Hi team,

I’ve noticed the v44 has its own global variables that are saved when the car is off. I.e engine starts, knock count etc. is there a way to make your own variable?

i want to keep track off I/C spray run time, I.e how many seconds the I/C spray has been used for 

No real way to do that directly sorry. 

It may be possible to fudge up something similar.  The best I could come up with is use something like GP RPM Limit 2.  Set the limit to 0% so it doesnt actually do any limiting when the limit is active.  You could then use a combination of a virtual aux and timer so the GP limiter statistic gets a count eveytime the IC spray had been running for 1 second or similar.  Just thinking out aloud though, havent actually looked at it.

• 11 months later...

Car going to tuners soon to setup onboard boost control using the turbo smart Eboost solenoid. Will do initial open loop setup then switch to closed loop. 18psi spring with HKS 7460 on evo 8, 2.3L.

Reasonable to set the open loop to say 20psi then when that is stable do closed loop and target 26psi? Is the difference between initial open and final closed an issue?

Have a read of the guide in the help file page: VX ECU Tuning Functions > Boost Control > Closed Loop Boost Control >Closed Loop Boost Setup Guide

Basically you tune it in closed loop mode, but with the PID all set to zero (so it is effectively open loop).  You need to tune the wastegate DC table with a boost target rows to cover the range of boost targets that you intend to run.  So if you want to target 26psi in the future you will need a row in your wastegate DC table somewhere around that.  The difference between say 20psi Vs 26psi might be 20 or 30% DC so a DC table that only gets you to 20psi is not going to work if you change the target to 26psi. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got the car back and very happy with the setup now. I went from Eboost2 to using the onboard vipec boost control but re-used the turbosmart boost solenoid. I did all the initial settings including setting the targets and setting all the baseline values then provided a brief outline of the setup for the workshop so they knew the basic car setup and had info on what i had pre-tuned. They then did the tune on the dyno and adjusted the values I dialed in to suit the car. I did the guess work then they've adjusted based on what the car needed. This saved a complete "tune" of the tune and a more focused tune adjustment of the boost control.

The setup looks like it has made more power but its shifted the power band considerably which I would suggest is due to the better setup and adjustment of the solenoid compared to the eboost2 fixed duty cycle (one value for all points).

Haven't driven it hard on the street yet but the dyno sheet certainly shows a very strong and responsive setup.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help with the boost control setup