NEW i SERIES FUEL MAIN CONFIGURATIONS

Dave Kriedeman

Hi all,

I just wanted to high light a couple of areas of the new software that I want all to be aware of in I SERIES software.

When setting up your PCL file for your engine, under the FUEL MAIN tab there are some new settings.

2 of which I notice get overlooked and I myself have missed on a customers PCL file I am giving assistance with.

They are

1. ENGINE CAPACITY in CC's

2. INJECTOR CAPACITY in CC's

The ECU uses these values in the back ground to calculate engine load ABS and fuel consumption.

Please make sure that you set these values up correctly.

Also on another new function Charge Temp Estimate Table tuning, to disable this function make the whole table 0, this will turn it off and you can just use IAT and ECT compensations if you wish.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Sutkale,

Yes these values are used in the back ground for making calculations.

The engine capacity is used to determine the load ABS parameter.

The injector size is to calculate instantaneous fuel consumption.

It is in the current 5.1.0 software/firmware, it was not available in the previous 5.0.3 software/firmware.

Don't forget to 0 all cells in the Charge estimation table if you don't want it having any influence on your tune.

Regards

Dave.

New firmware / software tested quickly. Had to make rather big changes to main fuel table on light load once putting right settings under fuel main settings (charge temp was not used). Was running really rich before retune on new firmware / software with old fuel table numbers. I´ve got 1998cm3 four banger engine with big cams and practically only minimal vacuum at idle. Couldn´t make any high load pulls since turbo compressor wing is a bit damaged, but on "higher" load need for fuel map changes obviously aren´t that much.

Hi, all,

This is a perfect example including myself of not reading the entire firmware upgrade information at the start of the upgrade process.

We must all make sure we read and understand the new changes before carrying out the upgrade.

Like they also state ,DO NOTDO AN UPGRADE BEFORE A BIG CAR RACE ETC, INCASE SOMETHINGGOES WRONG.

Thankfully now days we can revert to an earlier version via the software, but we couldn't when it was still DOS based.

Regards

Dave :oops:

One other correction that is in the New Firmware that will have a big impact at idle is:

The Injector Short Pulse Width Adder Table compensates for the non-linear flow characteristics of fuel injectors when at low pulse-widths.

Below 4.0 ms fuel injectors often have non-linear flow. To correct for this area of non-linear flow Vi-PEC i-Series ECUs have primary and secondary Injector Short Pulse Width Adder Tables. The secondary table is used only on engine setups that use staged injection.

Most injector data sheets provide the required information for the Injector Short Pulse Width Adder table, often this information will be named 'GM Small Pulse Adder' data.

The ECU uses the Short Pulse Width Adder table by adding the Short Pulse Width Adder value to the Effective Pulse Width.

One other correction that is in the New Firmware that will have a big impact at idle is:

The Injector Short Pulse Width Adder Table compensates for the non-linear flow characteristics of fuel injectors when at low pulse-widths.

Below 4.0 ms fuel injectors often have non-linear flow. To correct for this area of non-linear flow Vi-PEC i-Series ECUs have primary and secondary Injector Short Pulse Width Adder Tables. The secondary table is used only on engine setups that use staged injection.

Most injector data sheets provide the required information for the Injector Short Pulse Width Adder table, often this information will be named 'GM Small Pulse Adder' data.

The ECU uses the Short Pulse Width Adder table by adding the Short Pulse Width Adder value to the Effective Pulse Width.

And this alone makes me want an I series! 8-)

As soon as there's a "plug-in" for the 07 STi.

• 1 month later...