Gear cut with 0-5V strain gauge input

bill@dentsport

I am working on a V88 Subaru V10 PnP ECU. The car has a sequential gearbox with a 0-5V output from a strain gauge on the gear lever. Under the gear cut control menu the control input channel is only able to select Digital Inputs. Is there a way to select a ANV input and invoke the cut based on voltage? I've done same with Motec ECUs but cannot find any info in the Vipec documentation regarding using anything other than a DI. A DI seems pretty worthless. I did set up a GP rev limit based on 0-5V input but it doesn't work very well and large bumps can cause the limiter to come on since there is no RPM or TPS window to lock out the cut.

Hi,

So is the gear strain input a variable voltage from 0 -5 volt like a TPS, or is it an on/off switch with 0 volts inactive and 5 volts active or visa versa.

If it is an on/off switch then there is no problem the DI can be setup as HIGH or LOW switching, however if it is a variable switch this could definitely create an issue.

I will have a play and see if I can come up with something if it is variable.

I have never seen a stain gauge with a variable voltage output, normally they are on or off.

Regards

Dave.

Hi,

So is the gear strain input a variable voltage from 0 -5 volt like a TPS, or is it an on/off switch with 0 volts inactive and 5 volts active or visa versa.

If it is an on/off switch then there is no problem the DI can be setup as HIGH or LOW switching, however if it is a variable switch this could definitely create an issue.

I will have a play and see if I can come up with something if it is variable.

I have never seen a stain gauge with a variable voltage output, normally they are on or off.

Regards

Dave.

Hi and thanks for the reply. It has a variable 0-5v output with voltage increasing from 2.5v for up shift direction and decreasing from 2.5v in the downshift direction.

I could get the Di to trigger in the down shift direction since its at 0v with full forward pressure. But that's not useful at all. Every shift lever that I've dealt with uses a 0-5v strain gauge (KAPS and Drenth). Even ray hall himself on this very forum mentions that 0-5v is the only way to do it correctly. I now have it wired into anv input and it works as it should but there is no way to use this voltage to trigger gear cut.

Lack of CAN receive, no traction control and no voltage based flatshift are total deal breakers for what is supposed to be a motor sport ecu.

Hi Bill

We have a adapter box available to convert the signal from analogue to digital for case such as this.

If you made the GP limit base of a Virtual aux you could add lockouts such as TPS and RPM.

Another option is to use the likes of http://www.holinger.com.au/knobs.php which supports a digital out.