liberty boost control

Richard McGeachy

• 3 weeks later...

On this note, which ports will the LEM use to control boost? Will it do it in the same way the factor ECU does it by bleeding boost back into the intake? I'm also assuming any 12v Boost Control Solenoid (i.e. 2 or 3 port) could be used for this application? I'm thinking of getting a hole of a two port nissan boost control solenoid, to directly control the boost rather than bleeding it like the factory setup does.

You can use any auxiliary output, just configure it in PCLink as Boost Control.  Control is done the same way the factory does, so it is not necessary to modify plumbing or wiring.  Use the factory three port solenoid.  We don't recommend using two port solenoids...  Using a three port solenoid and bleeding air is a proven better way to control boost than using a two port solenoid...

couple of questions - have you heard of the factory solenoid having trouble when pushed above 20psi? firmware upgrades - i will be purchasing the aforementioned ECU shortly, either privately or via my tuner and i was wondering if they come with the latest firmware upgrades already on them straight out of the box? - ie v1.5 or do we need to put them on manually? i have also noticed it states in ecu firmware upgrade 1.3.4 that closed loop knock control has been enabled where an input is available. i have been looking through the base map that will suit my RS (V1/V2 STi) in PCLink ver 3.31 and the knock feature doesn't come up in advanced ignition - as it does in the WRXLink base maps. the RS ECU definitely uses a knock sensor input (they often freak out with noisy tappets putting the car in 'limp home' mode!) - did i miss something or is this likely to change? that would the icing on the cake of what looks to be a fantastic product. i know my tuner is looking forward to using it having tuned many of the previous link platforms. cheers

Never heard of them being a problem over 20psi, but that all depends on other things in the turbo system.  We can also supply a three port solenoid that will do the job...  ECU's are sent out with the latest firmware (at the time they were programmed).  Before yesterday, they will have 1.4.1, now they will have 1.50 but there is no difference for LEM between these versions (from memory). 

As for Knock Control, the key there is "where an input is available".  LEM G3 does not have a knock input, so no knock control.  WRXLink, EVOLink, LinkPlus G3/G2 alll have knock inputs.  Is one of those points that defines between an entry level and advanced ECU...  Knock control is nice to have but not essential if your tuner does a good job...

well, the G3 was ordered yesterday - should have it by the end of the week. have also got some 440cc's lined up. another question regarding boost control - i understand the principle of open and closed loop - but how does this apply to boost control? as i understand it an AVCR is a closed loop boost controller, but the link is an open loop with intake and engine temp correction. both vary boost pressure using duty cycle values, with the AVRC having the ability to 'self learn' once you have the initial duty cycle correct. is the link going to do a better job than the AVCR or is there nothing to seperate them? or does come down to the quality of the tuner - fortunately mine tunes subaru's (and the odd late evo) exclusively for a living. thank you for your help ashley!

Depending on your turbo system there may be a difference in your boost control, but both will adequately do the job. The LEM will run purely open loop as you say.  It can be set up to offer very good boost control if you spend enough time tuning.  In the near future we will release closed loop boost control as a free firmware update anyways.  For now you can use either the LEM or AVCR to control boost but I personally prefer to run everything from the ECU.  It is always easier to tune from one place rather than having to adjust devices all over the place...