Problem No 1

Peter Thwaites

Hi there i have a problem with a Link ecu we have bought a 2nd hand unit of an evo 6 to fit in our evo 4,the unit says MIT42 on the circuit board,and the table chip says evo456juneo1. We have bought the serial conector from thor racing over here but cant get it to hook up,the ecu itself seems to be powering up (heat sink gets warm) and clicking all what its supposed to when turning the ignition key and switching it off. Can you tell us what model ecu it is and what could be the problem? Thank you

This is an old style (not G2 or G3) EVO plug in ECU.  Software is for EVO 4,5 and 6.  It was built in June 2001.  None of the old style EVO ECU's were PC tuneable.  Maybe if you talk nicely to Thor they will let you return your SerialLink and exchange it for part payment on the tuning module (STM) that you need to tune this ECU.

• 4 weeks later...

Ashley Hi, right i have a 2.5bar map sensor and the tuning module and have it all fitted to the car(evo6) It starts and runs but idle is around 1700-1900 rpm and doesn't seem to change no matter what i do, any ideas? Also you stated above thats its not a g1 or g2 so what model ecu is it, im presuming its a lem v4?

This is an old style (not G2 or G3) EVO plug in ECU.

Its a first generation EVOLink (effectively G1).  It uses very similar tuning software to LEM V3-V5.  There is no wiring difference between EVO 4 and 6 for stepper motor control.  Maybe the 4 had a faulty stepper???  I'm not exactly sure where it went wrong there, but I'm glad you are sorted now...

• 1 month later...

You're right, it isn't that easy...  (it nearly is on a G3 ECU).  You have to tune for the new injectors.  Rember that dead time and fuel atomisation will be different with these injectors, so its not as simple as just chnaging the amount of fuel your engine gets by a fixed percentage!