ECU temp hitting 70 during dyno tuning

Brett Whinnen

Whilst tuning a friends Link G4 on the dyno on Saturday just gone, we found that we were hitting an RPM limit at ~6000rpm. The only thing I can think that would initiate that would be the high ECU temp we were seeing on the Link G4, 70 degrees. 

It is a Link G4 plugin on a MY05 STi (Aust delivered) sitting in the OEM location. 

My friend has also mentioned he has hit a limit on the street as well at 6000rpm when needing to get into traffic in first gear.

Is this normal for a plugin model in the factory location? Is there anything that needs to be done that can alleviate this issue.

Spending copious amounts of money to hire a dyno by the hour and having to spend 20 - 30 minutes having to cool the ECU down were not my idea of fun :)

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Hi Brett.

That's not right aye... 50 or 60degC maybe when it's getting real hot, but not 70!  Most of the componentry is rated to like 80degC, but the ECU will not function properly above 70degC ish, it will start shutting down on ya at that rate.

I would suggest looking at wiring to see that there is not too much current being drawn by something, or if it is in the OEM floor positoin, has there been carpet/insulation removed and the pipes run under the floor there or something?

Jurgen

The only changes to the wiring are as follows:

- Innovative wideband into stock O2, heater out is not disabled (but not plugged into anything either)

- Grimmspeed boost solenoid in place of OE

- 3 bar MAP sensor instead of OE

- No MAF

- Knockblock G4 wired in as just analog input, owner didn't want to disable the IC spray to get the Digital input needed.

The ECU is in the factory location and nothing there has been modified around it or on the other side of the firewall.

I'll disable the O2 heater output as it isn't really needed and even though it shouldn't be actively drawing anything.

Thanks,

Brett

Hi Brett.

Cool, I can't see that being screwed up too badly, so on to the next thing.

I am wondering is if it says in the runtime info (F12), 'RPM LIMIT ACTIVATED'.  If so, this is not a function of ECU temperature, but most likely ECT temp across the limit table, as you can specify what RPM limit you want at any given temperature.

Go in to 'Limits' in the PCLink menu, and just spot that table out.  Does the limit match the temperature at the time this is happening? 

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen,

I actually disabled all limits to rule it out at one stage. 

ECT was under 100 at the time and the limit at 80, 90, 100 is 7900RPM (with -200RPM for the soft limiter) and at 110 it is 5000RPM.

The log tells me that ECT was at 94 at the time and RPM Limit was 7900RPM, yet we hit a limit (soft of 6000RPM).

Thanks again,

Brett