STI Idle Control Problems

Steve1436215442

So I have a 2007 STI with the G4+ EMS installed, got the car tuned pretty well, drives great down the road but the idle control just sucks.

Warmup is smooth but once the engine is up to operating temperature the idle is very unstable at times (stalling) and will hunt up and down allot at times. I have tried everything with no luck. I have the idle control set to OPEN LOOP E-THROTTLE, I have the VE table tuned and maintain about 13.5:1 AFR at idle which is solid. I have tried adjusting the Base Step Idle Table allot, I have it at 1.8 at operating temp which it does the best at otherwise its either too low and dies or it hunts up and down if I put it higher. I'm really stumped here as I come from tuning Hydra EMS which has ROCK SOLID idle control on the STI.

Any help would be appreciated.

You will need to adjust the e throttle target table in the idle area.  1.8 in the base idle position table is a fair amount at op temp.  Should be in the sub 1 area.  You will need to add to the throttle table so the idle control has to do less work. 

Also are you using the idle ignition control? E throttle is lazy and the ecu can adjust ignition to correct idle faster than the throttle body.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Hi, samekind of problems with my 2006 sti, Closed loop idle is really hard to adjust that car even idle. If you set e-throttle 1.0 to the map car idles 1500rpm. And what is very curious thing, when car is moving, gear neutral and gas pedal up idle is around 1000rpm what is set, when you stop idle will go up to 1500rpm. Can it be adjusted only with rpm? Have anybody got "base" map that suits allmost stock sti?

-Lauri

Hi, Still trying to get stable idle with closed loop settings

idle rpm is set to 990rpm but what should i put in the rpm lockout table?

990+150=1140?

Or only 150rpm?

When i was setting the base position stepper i noticed that isc cl trim does not change when you put base position map 1,5 or 2,0 Correction is about 0,2% now

it is necessary use the idle ignition map?

is the et throttle map correct it´s 1,5 in the idle area?

Thanks,

Lauri

The lock out is the RPM above the target so a typical figure would be 200-500RPM

If in closed loop and you change the base it will only start from this value at the point it takes control.

So you would have to give a blip of the throttle to get this figure.

You have to remember the Idle control is only to correct for changes in load and for warm up.

It will not fix a air leak or tuning issue (ie a learn surge)

The engine should be able to idle smooth with no idle control.