0 rpm on controller

Benjamin Julian

Hey i have a ca18det installed in my datsun with a link and i have a handcontroller and currently the engine wont start. Im wondering when cranking is the controller supposed to say 0rpm? Also with the cam angle senser trig one and two wires are the two wires in each cable supposed to be connected to something? Or just the ones relative for the 1' signal and 180 what ever it is. Thanks for your time. Cheers

The tuning module should show RPM while cranking if the trigger signals from the CAS sensor are OK.  If it is not showing RPM then there is a problem with these signals.  Not all the wires in the screened cables are always used.  Typically only the yellow and blue wires (these colours have varied over the years).  Check the wiring of the 1 degree and 180 degree signals and make sure the CAS has power and ground...

Thanks alot for your help. Fixed the prob and get a rpm reading now. But when i go to diognostics under the cyl and sync heading they both say no. Is this my cas not getting a reading? also had a cyl and sync error of 5 wile cranking but adjusted the settings on the link panel and its at 2 now which is norm. Sorry to be a bother.

It is unusual to have a 'No' in the diagnostics menus.  They should both say yes to indicate a signal is coming through.  At very low speed the sync may go yes,no,yes,no ... but you should still be getting some yes's.  The error counter may increment by a couple on the first engine revolution, but should remain constant after that.  If it counts while the engine is cranking or running then there is a problem.  Have you correctly set up the sub-board dip switches?

There are instructions available for setup of the dip switches...  The actual switch requirements vary depending on the year of the engine... Set the base timing to 10 degrees (consult the manual on how to do this).  If you do not have a manual or the sub-board setup instructions, then contact [email protected] for a copy...