Any information top operate Subaru AVCS with a G4 Atom?

Mike McKay

Hi Mike,

I think I replied to you via email, but will replay here incase anyone else has the same question.

The G4 Atom is not capable of operating the AVCS. Your best bet on upgrading to a storm is to take your Atom back to where you purchased it and try and pursuade the dealer to do you an upgrade deal.

It sounds like an interesting project, good luck with it all.

Regards,

Scott.

Thanks for the help,

I am upgrading to the Extreme now. should order it within a week or so through my local Link dist.

Do you my chance have a set of config files/base maps I can use to get started? I'm runnng a JMD EJ254D with AVCS 2001~2003

Could use any starting configurations you might have.

Also curious if the knock link is going to be a good device to set up my knock controller on the extreme box? I would leave it on the car, need to identify a good place to mount the second sensor.

Last but not least, will the EClink run on a tablet PC OK? it is touch screen only and running windows XP tablet edition on a 1200 mshz intel core duo processor. I assume it will work fine?

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Hi Mike,

PCLink comes with a range of Subaru basemaps. Whichever one you use will likely have to be modified to suit your install. The Subaru v10 basemap is from a 2007 WRX EJ25 with AVCS, so could be a good starting point for you.

The knock link is useful, but its primary function is more as a warning rather than a tuning tool. The Knock Block would be a better tool for the job.

To be honest I am not sure about the tablet, I can't see any reason why it would not work. I have always used a laptop for running PCLink and have not had any feedback on tablets. There is a thread on here about running PCLink on tablets, although it mainly deals with android systems. Here is the link

http://www.linkecu.com/forums/G4Forum/632110636

http://www.linkecu.com/forums/G4Forum/632110636'>

I would be interested in hearing how using a tablet goes.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I'm in a bit of a quandry, on the one hand I am upgrading to the extreme for the knoock controller built in, yet I must purchase a duplicate piece of hardware to tune it properly? Am I missing something? Is there an audio feature on the extreme?

What is the most effective method of being able to detect detonation and set the threshold? I assumed the knocklink was going to do that for me.

is there any way to get an audio signal out of the extreme box?

I'll look more into the tablet and let you know what i find.

regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

While the knock block and the G4 Xtreme are both capable of detecting knock they are not duplicate items. The vast majority of tuners installing and tuning Link ECUs will own and use a knock-block to setup the knock on an ECU. The knock-block is more advanced than the knock detection circuitry in the G4 Xtreme and also has the audible output. Most tuners will sit there tuning with the audio output feeding into some headphones.

The G4 Xtreme is not capable of producing an audio output.

For an individual installing and tuning just one ECU I can see how it must seem like a pricey add-on. Have a read through the user manual for the knock-block (http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/knockblock-g4-documentation). It contains some information on different methods of setting up knock control.

Cheers,

Scott.