evo 9 thermofan pwm control

claudiumxg

hello, i would like to know how to set a gp aux pwm output to drive high( swich to 12v not ground ) when duty cycle active. from what i see i don't have option to select polarity in gp pwm table . this setting is necessary on al evo 7-8-9 to run corectlly the thermofan i use red extreme ecu not plugin board i atach pcl example to see how table should look

mitsubishi-plugin-g4-evo9-afr-on-thermofan.pcl

table is under aux output- Aux 1 PWM, mitsubishi fan controller frequency is 4000Hz, and signal needed is high(12V), polarity for pwm output should be option in menu of any pwm output if is not possible to do this for now, till it will be an option, let me know what is your recomandation regarding what kind of transistor should i use and how to wire it as not to damage ecu output in order to transform switched ground to switched 12 v thank you claudiu

Hi Fagadar.

Unfortunately AUX 1-4 cannot highside drive by design.  So this leaves you with AUX 5-8, which I see you have the idle stepper on.  Clearly you are a little stuch with the output thing, however.  I looked at the schematics of our plug in for the EVO9, there are no special things in the way of this lowside PWM driving AUX1 - It looks like the fan controller does take a low to drive it.  You will probably find the controller has it's own pull up internally, so when measured it will read high.  Then the output from AUX 1 starts to work by pulling it low with it's PWM.

Let us know how you get on...

Jurgen

hello, thank you for your answer, it seems i made i mistake reading out schematics of the fan controler, you are correct it is switched to grund but in opposite direction acting as a inhibitor: fan is off wnen 100% of time to ground, and full speed when 0% to the ground, so i have to change values to complementary numbers - example 80 % fan speed is not 80 duty cycle on aux output but 20% and so on. will it be a problem if output is at 100% dutycycle for long periods of time basically when fan doesnt work? i atach modifyed plc, so you can check(on simulator...) ps. this is why i asked first before trying it out as i don't want to damage ecu

thank you for the support,i am still learning the LINK platform, the table looks a bit odd but is the only way i could set it so i can obatin intervals and have no interpolation on these intervals, this way of setting of the fans comens from the fact that we noticed on gr.N cars there is less of head distortion/blown gasket on exhaust side of the head,because of als and launch(i guess is les of thermal shock with fan like this) and also on evo the alternator and battery is VERY small and copes easyer if curent is drawn more progresiv. on street cars i don't think the simple on/off to max duty table is less effective as you don't encounter such thermal loads. regards claudiu

• 2 months later...

hello, finally got a evo in the shop to instal a G4Xtreme, and i disovered that in order to Pwm control the fan you need that in resting position polarity needs to be high, any chance that in the PWM settings this can be added as an option just like with simple gp output? ps. off-needs high(12v) on -needs ground, if just open circuit as on pwm the fan ecu will get in failsafe and run fans at max speed