Link G4+ Plugin OBD2 output to Torque Pro

Aedan Glasby

Hi All,

I've searched a few topics in the forums lately about the OBD2 capabilities of the Link G4+ ECU and ended up buying a G4+ plugin with OBD2 feature unlocked for my R33 GTST. After being tuned, I connected my G4+ USB cable to my Android tablet running Torque Pro using a OTG cable and tried to get an OBD2 output over the USB connection with no luck.

After some more searching, I soon found out that the G4+ plugin has a USB tuning port and a CAN output port which I assumed explained why I could not get any OBD2 output initially, as the supplied USB tuning cable was still plugged into the tuning port from the tuning process.

My question is, assuming I have the above information correct, can I connect my USB tuning cable that was supplied with the ECU to the CAN port on the ECU board and receive OBD2 output over the USB connection? If this is not possible, I assume that I will need to purchase a CANPCB & CANF cable and wire in an OBD2 port to connect with a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and connect via Bluetooth? (as the R33 does not have a OBD2 port standard)

Thanks for your help.

• 8 years later...
On 9/22/2014 at 4:32 AM, Simon said:

You are correct in you will need to wire the a OBD port to the CAN output of the ECU and then use a bluetooth or similar device to transmit to the reader.

Dear simon,

What about g4x xtremex, can I use CAN port to connect a bluetooth OBD2? 

I have an extra USB tuning cable so what I was thing is the following 

Get a usb extension cable, connect it to the tuning cable and cut the otherside ' only cause i don't want to damage the tuning cable' so now I have 2 data cables coming out of the CAN port, then I will put 120R Rsistant in parallel between the data wires, then connect it to a bluetooth OD2 and power it with 12 volts direct. 

Do you think that will work? 

Regards

2 hours ago, Abed.Adham said:

I have an extra USB tuning cable so what I was thing is the following 

Get a usb extension cable, connect it to the tuning cable and cut the otherside ' only cause i don't want to damage the tuning cable' so now I have 2 data cables coming out of the CAN port, then I will put 120R Rsistant in parallel between the data wires, then connect it to a bluetooth OD2 and power it with 12 volts direct. 

Do you think that will work? 

Why dont you just wire directly to CAN2? 

nXTqrxL.png

10 hours ago, Adamw said:

Why dont you just wire directly to CAN2? 

nXTqrxL.png

Hi Adamw,

Because I already have can - lambda wired to CAN 2 and I have been told it won't work.

If I  can connect both to CAN to could you please explain the steps to do so. 

Regards 

Both can be on the same bus.  The CAN lambda runs at 1MB/s by default which is actually allowed in the OBD2 standards, but most OBD2 dongles only support 250 or 500Kb/s, so I would suggest reprograming the CAN lambda to run at 500K then both will be happy.  Instructions for doing that are in the help file section named "CAN Devices".  OBD2 set up is just a matter of selecting the radio button in the CAN set up screen.