ingniter failed

Mike de Malmanche

If it is a silver igniter it will most likely have two channels.  The big question is why did it blow up, they are pretty bullet proof!  They are current limiting, but can still get quite warm if the dwell time is set too long or when super low impedance coils are used...  Check the two channel igniter wiring here:

http://www.linkecu.com/support/dlandswupdates/TechInfo/WiringAndInstallation/I01

Hi Ashley, It is a black top igniter (single channel one, I have deduced, from MWignition. It concerns me that it has expired too. I put a bosh igniter on and the motor now runs. It was wired correctly as in the pin-out diagram. Could it have been spiked by welding? If so, would'nt it have also spiked the computer? Will the bosh igniter do the job?

From the diagrams it looks as though the two channel igniter has a tacho interface built in similar to the mitsi VR4 type ones. Does it put out a signal similar to coil -ve, or is it more like the signal that the link ECU puts out itself?