Closed-loop boost control?

Tom Pearce

I realise that this isn't technically a new feature as it's advertised as already existing, but it would be very much appreciated if it were actually functioning! Mucking about with open-loop wasn't exactly the plan when purchasing an ECU with a listed selling point of having closed-loop...

• 1 month later...

I just came back to see if there had been any update - thanks for the bump! I'm a bit fed up with waiting for this one & think I may fire off a 'trade descriptions act' to swap the ECU back to cash. Running the car crippled - or shelling out extra for a closed-loop boost control unit - wasn't in the plan when I read the specifications & bought the unit. Time to switch to a manufacturer that doesn't sell vapourware, I think!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any chance of this appearing before the world runs out of oil? I don't know how long the G3 was on sale for but I've been waiting for nearly a year for this built-in feature to be built-in, the car having been neutered the whole of the time. If it's too much trouble to finish this ECU, why was a new one started? Or if there's a design fault meaning that the G3 can't support closed-loop control (my current assumption), then it's a case of money-back or offering an alternative that can provide the advertised features. At least, that's the way that the law works over here in the UK, and I assume you'd like to continue trading there. I'll be asking the distributors here for advice again as they appear to fully understand that a product should perform as advertised and have been very helpful in the past. I'd prefer it if the ECU simply worked, of course...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Daniel - I don't  mind the comment at all, I feel your pain, I want closed loop boost as much as you do.

Gary - That feature will not be available straight away, once we have the closed loop boost released, we will eventually start testing it on our drag car, as it has an external wastegate.

• 3 months later...

Just a wild guess here, but seeming there's now an advert for upgrading a G3 to a G4, I assume this means that the closed-loop boost control as advertised on the original product is only available if an upgrade is paid for? Or is closed loop still urgently being worked on as it has been for the last year, while lots of other products have been created & released before something 3 years old has even finished being designed? Is everything Link produces this badly managed, produced & 'maintained'?

"Is everything Link produces this badly managed, produced & 'maintained'?"...  As a staff member I am  not in a position to comment on this but my suggestion is that you contact one of our dealers that is buying and installing ECUs by the hundreds and get their opinion as to the quality of our products.    Also do some research and come up with some facts to prove that our products are poorly produced and maintained compared to our competitors before you make public acusations!  I think you will be surprised with the findings.

I can understand your frustration with not receiving closed loop boost control.  It was a mistake in the original release documentation.  We do not believe in selling "airware".  As a company we receive and record all feature requests from our dealers and customers.  These requests are reviewed and prioritised.  Features are added in the prioritised order.  If a feature you want is not getting added it is not because we cant or wont but becuase it is not requested enough (even though you may not believe that!).

Over the past three years hundreds of features have been added based on market feedback allowing our ECUs to offer more versatility and advanced features than any other ECUs in that price bracket.

There is no hardware limitaton preventing closed loop boost control, I can certainly assure you of that.

A closed loop boost control alogrithm has been developed in is currently in testing.  When and how it is released depends entirely on the scheduling of other requested upgrades.

In G4 a basic closed loop boost control can be acheived using MAP as an axis on a boost table.  The duty cycle is reduced at pressures above the target, and increased below.  G3 ECUs should be upgraded to G4 just to take advantage of all the new features and improvements and allow use of all the new tuning tools available in G4 PCLink.  It also ensures continued upgrades and fixes are available.  I mean, microsoft didn't keep upgradeing windows 98 forever, eventually they said you need to get Windows XP if you want our support.

Tom Pearce, feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter further...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...