Noob Question RE: Trigger Setup on Volvo B230 Engine

Cameron Daline

Hi Guys - I'll preface by apologizing if this is a silly question... I've built a hybrid turbo Volvo engine that will be running on LinkPlus G3. It is a 2.3l B230 shortblock (think 240/740/940 models) with a DOHC 16v Volvo head from a B234 engine. I'm planning on triggering via the Volvo OEM Bosch LH 2.4 crank sensor. In the OEM setup it's a VR sensor that reads a 60-2 pattern on the flywheel perimeter. As stated, I'd like to use this same setup wired into the Link to trigger. On the Volvo flywheel, it's not toothed per se, but rather has 60 holes drilled (10mm or so deep) in it, missing 2 holes. The flywheel is bolted on via 8 bolts and can therefore be bolted on in 8 different configurations. In the OEM LH 2.4 setup, the missing holes (teath) are offset about 8 holes from the VR sensor at TDC. So the crux of my question is this: Should I bolt the flywheel in at is OEM position, or does it even matter? Thing is, with the engine at TDC, the flywheel will bolt on with the first hole in the flywheel perfectly centered under the VR sensor. i.e. at TDC it points at the first hole, runs past the next 57 holes after that one, runs past the two missing holes, then back to TDC. So can I run it that way? I've not had much time to play around w/ the PCLink software yet as I've just recently decided on and got my G3 EMS. So can I "train" or calibrate the tuning software as to where in the 60-2 pattern TDC is? Thanks, Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Not a silly question, it's a reasonably common question. The usual answer is to have the missing 'teeth' anywhere but TDC. The best option for you is to place it where it's easiest to remember its position if you remove it again, eg OEM might be best. 'Training' the software is easy, you 'Lock to reference timing' (you might have a 10deg timing mark etc) and adjust your 'Offset' (The degrees between TDC and the missing teeth) until your timing light matches the reference timing. Then turn 'Lock to reference' off.

-Cameron

• 10 months later...

Back to this again, only 11 months later! I ended up using the stock configuration with relation to flywheel placement. Missing teeth are 84 degrees towards the intake side of the motor, which is the left side of the motor from sitting in the car. Since the engine spins clockwise (looking from the front of the motor for this reference) the VR sensor "sees" the missing teeth before the engine reaches #1 TDC so that would mean set trigger offset at -84 degrees? Wouldn't that end up being the same as setting it as +275 degrees then? Thanks, Cameron

• 10 months later...

Did you wire the Link in with a new loom, or did you make a patch harness, or splice this in ?

I bought a Volvo a couple of months ago, and I'm toying with the idea of fitting an ecu to it.

Would prefer a plug in install, but I'm not averse to making a new loom if I have to. Odd the way they use separate fuel and ignition computers !