Dash for Vi-PEC

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jezz giving up so easy!Did you E-mail Aim with what is happening? Is there any chance you have something set up wrong in the race studio software for the dash? Maybe something is not set up right in the ViPEC? (not sure what there is to change there though)

E-mail Aim with what is happening and see what they say, go over all the info that Ray has posted with them.

I know you can make this work, just need to get them talking.

Jeremy

Guest Marcel B

It may seem so , but I am not a quitter :D I am now at the end of a long hard two year build that i did all myself from begining to end , I recently started the car up , had to fix a couple leaks here and there but all was good , I am also 99% done with wireing in the ViPec . At this point I just want to get in and drive , I am not in the mood for another problem , I just want to start enjoying my car :ugeek:

Jezz giving up so easy!Did you E-mail Aim with what is happening? Is there any chance you have something set up wrong in the race studio software for the dash? Maybe something is not set up right in the ViPEC? (not sure what there is to change there though)

E-mail Aim with what is happening and see what they say, go over all the info that Ray has posted with them.

I know you can make this work, just need to get them talking.

Jeremy

There is away to confirm the problem is at AIM's end.

Use the Windows terminal program or some other terminal software.

Set the baud rate to 19200 8 none 1.

Type the letter C. You should get 23 bytes of data back. Then type A and you will get 107 bytes.

Both the C and the A must be with the caps on.

You will need to connect the Txd, Rxd and ground to a 9 pin connector.

Guest Marcel B
There is away to confirm the problem is at AIM's end.

Use the Windows terminal program or some other terminal software.

Set the baud rate to 19200 8 none 1.

Type the letter C. You should get 23 bytes of data back. Then type A and you will get 107 bytes.

Both the C and the A must be with the caps on.

HUH :?: :?: :mrgreen:

Rayhall can you give us some more info or instrustions on how to do that?

Marcel B I e-mail Chad at AIM asking for some help. We're going to get to the bottom of this. Also can you give me some more info on what you hooked up to and how?

Guest Marcel B

Sure , one end of the adapter cable is connected to the serial port on the V88 , the other end with the five wires are connected like this . Red=switched 12V , Black = 0V , Green = Aim ground , Blue = Tx (Rx)on Aim harness and Yellow = Rx (Tx) on Aim harness . When I saw no sign of communication , I interchanged the Rx and Tx wires and also tried the CAN +/- , with no change.

Guest Marcel B

Ray , can U be more specific here ? should I connect the Rx and Tx from the adapter cable together ? and what 9 pin connector are u referring to ? Also I would be connecting to the V88 and not the MXL right ?

Sure , one end of the adapter cable is connected to the serial port on the V88 , the other end with the five wires are connected like this . Red=switched 12V , Black = 0V , Green = Aim ground , Blue = Tx (Rx)on Aim harness and Yellow = Rx (Tx) on Aim harness . When I saw no sign of communication , I interchanged the Rx and Tx wires and also tried the CAN +/- , with no change.

Where you hook up to the V88, that should be hooked into the CAN connector.

For the Green wire, are you using a sensor ground from the Vi-PEC?

You should also be hooked up to the Strada CAN+ and CAN-

CAN + = TxD Signal (BLU)

CAN - = RxD Signal (OV)

Also... you have already preloaded your USB software to your Strada and configured it to the info that I post before correct? (Please do not take offense, I'm just double checking everything and really want to help you out. I have the same dash and set-up and hope it's not a S/W problem. Just a set-up problem)

AIM_Dash_AdptCable.PNG

Guest Marcel B

No I am not taknig offence , it is ok for you to ask questions , I know that you are trying to help solve the problem. I have gone over the wires a dozen times , trying various combinations with the same result , I believe it is the AIm software . The AIM's ground is connected to the ground provided for iy on the adapter cable , weather or not it goes to the sensor ground through the cable I dont know , maybe Ray would be able to say , either way , this should not prevent communication between the logger and the ECU.

Did you go in and set-up the Dash for the configuration that I sent to you? If not that might be apart of it? You are able to communicate via USB to your computer with your dash correct?

Ray , can U be more specific here ? should I connect the Rx and Tx from the adapter cable together ? and what 9 pin connector are u referring to ? Also I would be connecting to the V88 and not the MXL right ?

The the AIM dash is not connected in any way to do this test. The wires that would normally go to the AIM are connected to a 9 pin RS232 connector.

Here is the wiring to the 9 pin serial connector.

Serial9PinWire.PNG

You then plug this connector into a serial port on your PC. Then run terminal software and type E or A and see if you get data back.

Hope you guys can get this sorted out! I'm waiting on selling all my Greddy gauges to get one of these if it works.

GT04Mustang: Were you able to get into the shop today to see if you can get yours working?

Jeremy

Hope you guys can get this sorted out! I'm waiting on selling all my Greddy gauges to get one of these if it works.

GT04Mustang: Were you able to get into the shop today to see if you can get yours working?

Jeremy

No, I was held over at work... Sry guys. Gonna have to wait till monday. :( This whole issue is in my head all day...

Guest Marcel B
Did you go in and set-up the Dash for the configuration that I sent to you? If not that might be apart of it? You are able to communicate via USB to your computer with your dash correct?

Of course I did :D

Guest Marcel B

The the AIM dash is not connected in any way to do this test. The wires that would normally go to the AIM are connected to a 9 pin RS232 connector.

Here is the wiring to the 9 pin serial connector.

Serial9PinWire.PNG

You then plug this connector into a serial port on your PC. Then run terminal software and type E or A and see if you get data back.

Please have patience with me , but I need to be clear with this first , so Is this the same connector on the adapter cable that the black box connects to ?

Guest Marcel B

I hav not tried it yet , I am still waiting for Ray (or anyone else for that matter ) to confirm that what I need to do is unplug the black box from the adapter cable and plug the RS232 connector into my laptop .

I hav not tried it yet , I am still waiting for Ray (or anyone else for that matter ) to confirm that what I need to do is unplug the black box from the adapter cable and plug the RS232 connector into my laptop .

Marcell,

Look at my post above with a picture of the connector wiring. All the information you need is there.