Vi-PEC V88 ordered for SF5 "STI" Forester

Guest |129|

Have just placed my order with Mark from Godzilla Motorsport for a V88 to replace my Autronic SM4 plugin ECU :D

My Forester runs a built 2.5L setup with 800cc SARD injectors, V6 ported STI heads and cams, TGV removed, GT3040, STi 6-speed and Brembo's etc etc... The Autronic was locked by the previous tuner, so instead of paying for a full retune on the Autronic I'm giving the V88 a shot!

The plan is to purchase a subaru ECU connector and make an adapter loom so the V88 is mostly plug and play (car is running WRX engine loom etc too).

Anyone have any gotcha's we should be aware of in making the adapter loom?

Here's a couple of pics of the car it's going into:

foz1.jpg

foz8.jpg

If all goes well I'll probably purchase some V44's for the other cars in my garage too

Jason

Jason,

The car looks good..

I made up an adaptor for the USA 2004 2L car just recently. I used a Subaru ECU connector and added the wires from the V88 harness. I have told Mark that I can supply you one of the connectors so you can do the same. Also I will add a small circuit that will control the tumble valves. I have pinout information for the Aust model cars.

Ray.

Hello,

From memory, SARD injectors were a handful to control with the Autronic, particularly the 1000ccs. Never had any success and had to change the injectors in the end.

Please do post the injector dead times and settings with the ViPEC once your car is up and running.

CP

Jason,

Here is a drawing I made when making up a similar adaptor harness for a USA car. I have changed it to suit the Australian version. http://www.vi-pec.com/bin/Subau01AdptWires.png

Red circles are power (12 or 5 volt)

Green are grounds

Blue are inputs and outputs

This is the word document that gives you pin conversion information. http://www.vi-pec.com/bin/Subaru01JDM_V88.doc

hey gumps old car this car is a beast, mic was a good mate of mine.

i got my GT's new motor built and tuned at the same place as him Southern Motor Works in wollongong an amazing tuner too.

i just got a vi-pec in my car and i have 3 yrs of dramas 2 motors 3 rebuilds dissapear in one day!

you will love it and enjoy that beast, on the track its a weapon on the street its a weapon!

cheers Rob.

Ray,

Are the V88's meant to come with a mounting bracket in the box or does that need to be purchased separately? Also does the mounting orientation matter with the ECU, can it be mounted upside-down to the roof of a glovebox for example or should it be facing up?

Also in your document above, the fuel pump looks to be switched on whenever the ignition is on, I'm guessing this is due to the Fuel Pump Controller used in the WRX's. My car is not running the WRX fuel pump controller as the forester's just have a fuel pump relay switched by the ECU, I plan to use one of the Aux outputs to switch the pump circuit. Any issues with doing things that way? Diagram of the SF5 Forester fuel circuit can be found here: http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/vipec_ ... ircuit.JPG

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

If your car has just a fuel pump relay, then wire it to a Aux output and select "fuel pump" as the function.

There is a mounting bracket coming. As soon as they are available I will get you one. This has two mounting holes and the V88 snaps into it. The bracket grips the groves on the side of the case.

Ray.

I've basically finished my adapter loom now, just have to crimp on some waterproof Deutsch connectors to interface the wideband, map sensor and intake air temp sensor. Will be checking the wiring on the car this weekend before taking the lot to Godzilla motorsports to be tuned.

Since I didn't have one of the nice headerlink boards for the ECU connector I've just soldered the wires directly to the pins and insulated them with double wall heatshrink. To support the connections I milled out a piece of perspex and screwed the ECU socket to that, I'll be drilling a couple of small holes and zip-tieing the loom to the perspex aswell so it can't flex the pins in the socket.

Here's a pic of the progress:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/vipec_ ... /loom1.jpg

Finished off the adapter loom and mounted the ECU in the forester glovebox.

I'm just using zip-ties at the moment to hold the ECU in place. Using a 6 pin Deutsch connector to interface with the MAP sensor and IAT sensor, the 2 pin delphi plug is to interface with my LC-1 Wideband.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/vipec_ ... _loom1.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/vipec_ ... unted1.jpg

All sensors have checked out properly so I'm now ready to head over to Godzilla for the tune.

I've also drawn up a PCB to interface the 5 socket subaru ECU connector (Tyco 353015) with the ECU loom. Are both the A and B looms available to purchase separately? I'm also wanting to see how the Vipec goes running a turbocharged Toyota 1ZZ I've built and the 1ZZ loom just happens to have the same plugs as the MY01-05 WRX's.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to finish the sensor installation (MAP and IAT). I welded up a bracket to mount the 7bar sensor to the firewall and re-routed the BOV vac line to the front of the plenum so the MAP sensor has a dedicated feed. Also machined up a weld-on boss for the cooler pipe for the IAT sensor to screw into, previous owner had a sensor screwed into a hole drilled in the thin-wall alloy tube so I've now welded on a proper boss and installed the Vipec sensor just before the throttle body.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/vipec_ ... ec_MAP.jpg

Last thing to connect is the LC-1 wideband. The car originally had a permanently installed LC-1 with XD-1 guage which was not interfaced to the old ECU. I'll be interfacing the LC-1 to the V88 but am not sure on the wiring to do the interfacing.

I had planned to use one of the LC-1 analogue outputs to feed one of the V88 analogue inputs with the LC-1 Heater, System and Analogue grounds all going to a single lug on the engine block as specified in the LC-1 installation manual. Is this the best way to wire it or should the LC-1 analogue ground be wired to the green V88 ECU ground wire too?

When I interface LC-1's to datalogit's for tuning powerfc's the analogue ground and analogue output go to two of the inputs on the datalogit to ensure there's no ground offset for the signal.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Had the car tuned by Mark at Godzilla today, I can't thank him enough for the tune, it's brilliant to drive.

Basically drove to the dyno, unplugged the Autronic SM4, plugged in my V88 with the adapter loom, started it up and started tuninig.

First impressions are that the engine is now VERY smooth, this relates to idle, acceleration and general driving. For some reason the exhaust also seems quieter, even my father-in-law commented on how much quieter the exhaust is now. Strange but true.

On the road the transitions are brilliant, AFR does exactly what it's meant to do, no random fluctuations like I had previously. The idle is now rock steady, perfect with AC or electrical load too, no hunting at all. I'm more than impressed. The hot and cold starts are also easier than before, with the autronic it would take 4-6 cranks before the engine would fire from cold, with the vipec it fires on first crank. I always thought the hard starting from cold was related to the Sard 800's, but it seems that isn't the case.

We were very conservative with ignition timing, I was able to datalog the ignition map out of my locked autronic and we're running less timing for the same power/torque now, possible the autronic was running too much.

We didn't spent much time on the boost control, basically have two boost maps, The maps are switched between by a toggle switch and digital input #1, map 1 is basically zero'd and runs the wastegate spring boost pressure which looks to be about 14psi, the second map we're using about 20% duty cycle on the solenoid controlling the external pro-gate to run ~18psi.

Enough of my rambling, here's the power graph showing both 14 and 18psi runs.

I'm not planning to refine this one much further as I'm building up an EZ30R to replace the current engine, with the current GT30R strapped to the side of the H6 ;)

I can't see the V88 having any trouble at all running the next engine setup.

Vipec_V88b.jpg