Sign in to follow this  
Morris Ahten

Ion-sensing w/knock control

How about adding a Ion-sensing system similar to the Delphi or Saab Trionic systems. Searching the web there is lots of information regarding the operational specifics and some circut design. I believe that is the way to handle Knock detection and provide more efficient engine operation. How about it? Thanks, Mo-

Yeah, we have looked at that before...   Note that we have recently developed a new clever digital knock detection device and added full individualy cylinder knock detection features to all G4 ECUs.

How sensitive is this "clever digital knock detection device" to noise? Specifically all the knock sensors I've run in the past have been fooled by the noise of shattering rock against the bash plates underneath the engine.

My understanding is an ION-Sensing system is very sensitive and able to make adjustments as necessary for each combustion cycle. Using a small electric current running through the spark gap, it can sense combustion efficiently, and detect knock with extreme accuracy. Again my understanding is this type of system is superior and less costly then a "knock box". Try and put yourself in the manufacturer's place. My guess is since Link has created their own seperate detection system and need to realize a return on their investment, it does not make sense to engineer a new strategy, even if it's better and more cost effective then their existing design. I was really hoping LINK was going to engineer ION sensing ignition system. Ashley, thanks for responding to my earlier post, and please let me know if I'm on the mark here. Best regards, Mo-

I've had a look at the information you have provided. Seems like a good idea, but i  disagree with "Again my understanding is this type of system is superior and less costly then a "knock box"." for the simple fact that 99% of vehicles on the road do not run CDI from factory which means this would need to be installed before even considering the costs of the knock controller. Installation would also be far more difficuilt as each spark plug needs its own interface, where with the standard method one knock sensor can be used to detect individual knock on up to four cylinders using data windowing techniques.

We appreciate the suggestion but I don't think any development will be done on this anytime in the near future.

Hi Morris,

Thanks for taking the time to look into ion sensing.  We appreciate your feedback.  As with all feature requests, your ideas will be added to our requests list.  All requests are prioritised based on customer and dealer feedback and scheduled for development.  Should ion sensing become a highly sought after feature you can be assured that it will be added to our ECUs in good time...

Ashley

+1 for this suggestion! knock detection, particularly on older engines where a suitable location for your joe average piezo sensor is not provided, is made difficult. sure, there are plenty of free softwares online to do a bit of signal conditioning but it's still compromised. given that smart coil packs with ion sensing technology is now common place (since the late 90s!) and that these coils are a cheap and easy upgrade an old distributed spark setup (for the old donk enthusiasts especially!) when fitting a Link ECU, it'd be great to be able to use this to our advantage!! :D certainly a lot cheaper and more convenient than fitting pressure sensing spark plugs! 

as a bit of an adjunct to this, is there any way we can log the ion sensor signal at the ECU?