Link G3 (Plug-in or wire-in)

David Do

Hi I have a MY04 WRX. I have fitted a JDM EJ257 from a JDM Forrester. Unbeknowest to me was that the layout of the EJ257 was different to the EJ207 in terms of the cam position sensors. The EJ257 utilises two cam position sensors at the back of the heads whereas the EJ207 uses a single cam position sensor at the front of the head. The EJ257 did not come with an ECU or wiring loom and in turn i'm using my current MY04 wiring loom as i assumed it was compatible. has anyone come across this problem? if yes how did you get around it. I'm looking at a replacement stand alone ECU as i'm anticipating future mods so in terms of the Link G3 do i use the Plug-In ECU or wire-in ECU due to i'm retaining my current wiring loom. So my main question is Will the Plug-In WRX G3 (for V7-9) be able to control the EJ257 via my current MY04 wiring loom or will i need to use the Wire-In Model? Cheers David

Last time we cam across this problem, the simplest way out was to fit the cam position sensor back to the front location.  From memory all the mounting holes are there and the teeth are on the pulley, just the sensor is not fitted.  It may be necessary to tap some thread in the mounting bolt hole (the hole as already drilled).  Our ECU will plug into a factory STi/WRX loom as was originally fitted to the vehicle.  In total you will end up with three cam sensors, one on the pulley for firing order position and one on the back of each cam for AVCS position.  The catch here is that we have not worked with one of these motors yet and believe that the AVCS system is different to the EJ20, so you will not have AVCS control, otherwise all engine functions should run as normal...

Hi Ashley I've been told the JDM STi EJ257 which i have just fitted to my MY04 WRX is identical to the Australian (and possibly NZ) delivered MY06/7 EJ257 fitted to the STis. Does that help at all? Well you have answered my main question whether if i can utilise your plug-in G3 instead of the wire-in model. I will advise my mechanic to fit the cam position sensor at the front as per the article i gave them (here http://elementtuning.com/technical/ej25_install.htm ) and fit the PnP G3. Cheers David