Flyin Miata Link ECU - Tuning Options...

Chris B

Hi all! Newun here in England... I have an imported 99 Miata (US spec) and it came with a piggyback Link ECU. a>a>a>a> To cut the story real short, I don't have a keypad for it. The ECU is set roughly correct for fuel and ignition timing, but I am rebuilding a catastrophic engine failure, so I kinda wanna tinker whe the motor's back in! I have heard of a converter box and some software to plug in to the laptop, which is a feesable way round my problem; I appreciate the ECU is ten years old and narrowband, but I am in no financial position to upgrade either :o( Any help'advice would be greatly appreciated - if someone wants to sell me a spare handset too, that would be fine! :o)

Hi Newun.

The converter box and software to plug in to the laptop you speak of is nothing that I am aware of.  Officially the TurboLink can only use the hand controller.  Someone may have got confused with the set up on Link's full ECU systems that work this way.

The most unfortunate thing about this excersize is the hand controllers are no longer produced by Link, so they are as rare as hens teeth so to speak.  If you manage to find one of these, hold on to it and never let it out of your sight.

Jurgen

• 3 weeks later...

Good call Matt H!  All I can say is the last one we sold was approximately a year ago.  All the parts for these are now completely exhausted and it is possible there are some suppliers out there with some stock still on the shelf.  Thanks for the update.

If anyone does know of a supplier that still holds stock, please let us know as it would be good to be able to direct people to them.  It is a common question, and would really help some people out.

PS. Chris, I take it from your login.  My apologies for confusing the newun terminology with your name, I now realise you meant newbie of sorts :)  I hope you manage to get one of the hand controllers.

Jurgen