e-throttle or not?

Kerem Erdag

Hi There,

I want to learn what the signals EThrottle Signal 1 and EThrottle Singal two are.

Are they mirrored signals like V+ and V- at the time t? (meaning same square waves with opposite polarities)

OR

Is one increase throttle and the other one decrease throttle?

I have a drive by wire module from a third party and want to benefit the Link Ecu features with it.

Thanks in advance,

Kerem

Hi Kerem,

I have seen both , Ione increases in voltage while the other decreases.

I have also had DBW sensors read 0 to 100 % on signal 1 and max out at 85% on signal 2.

So it is dependant on what brand it is.

Use a multi meter the check the resistance value of signal 1 and 2.

Do this test with the ignition off obviously.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Firstly, I don't have the link e-throttle controller.

Car is 1990 BMW E34 535i Turbo. 

I haven't set anything up yet with g4 storm yet. Megasqirt 2 is installed on it with another electronic throttle controller. Before parting out the legacy ecu, I need to clear those kind of things up so that, I don't waste too much time struggling to run the engine.

Now the throttle controller I have is made of ST L298 h-bridge motor controller IC which has two PWM inputs.

If the duty cycle on input a is equal to the duty cycle on input b then motor stays on its postition, duty cycle on input a is more than input b then motor moves to another position till duty cycles on both inputs are equal again. And opposite is valid to move the motor to opposite position. 

Before I try to see the e-throttle output signals of g4 storm on the scope, I just wanted to make sure that I'm on the right way. Unfortunately, here in Turkey, I couldn't find link e-throttle module. 

Best Regards,

Kerem

Hi Kerem,

Do you have a link or information about your third party e-throttle controller, I need to see how it works and what type of inputs it requires.

Otherwise this will be a question for Simon or one of the Link Engineers to answer.

I am mainly ViPEC orientated when it comes to DBW so I am used to setting things up onboard  with the ECU and software sorry.

Regards

Dave.

Ethrottle Signal 1 is the PWM control

Ethrottle Signal 2 is the Direction control

These signals together form a PWM control for an external H bridge driver.  When Direction is low, PWM is pulsed high with short duty cycle to open the throttle a little and high duty cycle to open it further.  When Direction is high, PWM is pulsed low for short duty cycle to close the throttle a little and high duty cycle to close it further.  

The Link ethrottle module provides the high power H bridge required to drive the motor.  The ECUs control signals directly control this driver.  The module also includes a power switch to disconnect power to the driver in case of faults.  This is controlled by the ECUs ethrottle relay signal.

An external driver module could be used if it can work with these signals.  However, this is not supported or recommended and may compromise the safety systems.

Regards

Ashley