Knock Control...

Guest |204|

Is the knock control that you get on the v88 something that you can have activated on the v44??

I'm getting a v44 installed into a Evo VI and knock control was one of my few concerns (I like my engine in 1 piece thanks! ;) ).

Or is this something the CLC can sort for me?

(Hope that wasn't too n00b)

Firmware version 4.2.0 or later has knock control support on the V44 standalone and the plugin ECU based on the V44. As these ECU do not have an internal knock amplifier like the V88, you need to use an external amplifier.

We have external knock amplifiers available. These output a signal that you connect to one of the Volt inputs on the V44 or plugin ECU.

As far as the way the knock control works, it is the same as the V88.

Ray.

• 1 month later...

Any update on this?

There will be no kind of either seeing knock, or doing anything about it without this amplifier? With a v44.

Besides old school hook up of ear plugs. (Which is very good!)

Okay.

I got your file on mail. Thanks.

But there is no option for knock control when loading rb25det file..?

I can change one of the analog channels to Knock (0-5v)

But were do i set it up? How much it needs to retard etc..

You must be online with the ecu to see and setup knock table. The Vi-PEC help function explains how to setup and you can look at help without being online. Go to Help- Content and type "knock" in the search funtion. The Vi-PEC help are VERY good at explaining the most of the other functions as well :)

I think 2-3 degrees should be an ok starting point if it sees any knock.

Warning: Knock Control should be used as a safety feature only. It is not design as a tuning aid to help determine optimum ignition timing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On this subject,

I have installed a Knock Amplifier into a V5/6 WRX fitted with a plugin board, and have set it up as per the installation PDF.

I set the correct An Volt Input and switched on Knock control in the Ignition section of the software. The knock target and correction tables come up, however there is no 'Knock' value showing on the runtime display. I can see the Voltage of the input in the applicable screen, but no converted knock value. Is there a table that I need to setup or activate that I haven't seen yet? If not how does the voltage input correspond to the knock target table?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide Ray :)

Cheers,

Wes Harriott

Wes,

When using an external knock amplifier, the knock threshold values are not shown in the real time data values, as they are with the V88. This is something that needs to be added. The values for the Knock Threshold table need to be calculated from the Knock 0 to 5 volt value.

The threshold table uses 10 bit values. 10 Bit values can be anything from 0 to 1024.

To convert the 0 to 5 volt knock signal into values for the threshold table use this formula.

Volts * 204.8 = Table value.