Serial port support for V44

Guest |210|

I have a V44 with USB and CAN connectors but no documentation on both. We need to interface to V44 via RS232 (serial). USB port works fine on PC but need 2wire serial interface to V44. Are there any sort of adaptes to use V44 USB or CAN interface over serial link??

The bottom port that is marked CAN Bus, is a serial port. To connect to this port we have a cable available. It is possible to modify the USB cable that is supplied with the Vipec. This is how it is done. While not the best solution, it will work.

USB_CableToSerial.jpg

Also here is the pinout of the CAN Bus port.

CanConnector.PNG

Haven't tried this yet but want to be sure I understand correctly first. Does the CAN bus connector output RS232? And, by modifying the USB cable to extract the 6-pin serial signals, we can comunicate via RS232 on the CAN Bus connector?

I assume one can not modify the USB cable to work with Serial (RS232) on the USB port.

Is the serial baud rate still 57600 on the CAN bus connector.

And to be sure I understand, does the CAN bus port require a serial to CAN bus translator to work correctly for CAN bus?

In looking at the wire diagram - it shows RED to pin 2 and shield to Pin 3 with Black on Pin 5. For RS232 pins 2 and 3 are TX and RX, so I wonder why shield (which is usually ground) is connected to pin 3. The VI-PEC communication is 2-way, so TX and RX should both be used? Again, I haven't tried this yet but want to be sure not to do something wrong here. I assume we are still talking about using the CAN bus connector for RS232?

The bottom port is RS232. It may be marked CAN Bus, but is a three wire RS232 (TxD, RxD, Gnd).

We have a cable for this port that is different to the USB cable. It uses the shield wire for the shield, and has a yellow (TxD), Grey (RxD) and Brown (Gnd) wires.

As you do not have this cable, it is possible to modify the USB cable you have to make it into serial and use in the bottom port. To do this you follow the above information. As I said it is not the best solution, but will get you communicating using Serial (RS232).

Ray.