Ignition interpolation the same

Andy Drummond

Hi Team

Would like ALL ignition resolution/interpolation all the same (0.1). 

That is all ignition trim values are to 0.1 resolution. So that the Link timing is true to 0.1 of degree.

Reason, there are many. It would be easy to ask the reason why not?

Please note, NOT asking for the table entry rounding to change.

Let know your thoughts?

Cheers Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi again

Renew my request for running interpolation to be 0.1 of degree for all ignition tables.

As quoted on the Link web site, ignition timing is to 0.1 of a degree. But if using any ignition trim then it is actually 0.5 of degree.

As you know spark timing at idle wants to be as smooth as possible, so if you are getting 0.5 degree jumps in timing can cause the engine rpm to hunt. Which can then cause more jumping of the timing and so on.

Simon can you please ask the software programmer what is required to change the interpolation setting for all the ignition trims. Remember the Link already has 0.1 interpolation calculation for the main ignition tables. In other words it should be a very simple change.

Again trying to make the Link even more better, so any questions please ask.

Cheers  Andy

Hi Andy,

Final ignition interpolation is to 0.1 degrees.  While some tables may only allow entry of 0.5 degree steps, they are interpolated between cells to 0.1 degree internal numbers that are used for final ignition calculation.  If you know of any tables that are not interpolated correctly then please let us know.

Hi Ashley

Thanks for the reply.

I did some tests today, and the following ignition tables (mainly the ones with 0.5 entry steps);

ECT Ign Trim, IAT Ign Trim, 4D Ign Table and 5D ign table operate at runtime as 0.5 resolution (interpolation between cells).

Confirmed that the "Ign Angle" value (assuming this is the final ign angle after calculations etc) and it followed the steps (0.5) changes of a ign trim table value.

Test method was online, power on, 0 rpm, set y axis to TPS (easy to vary) and zeroed all ignition tables, then added numbers to one trim table it a time.  So by moving the throttle and viewing runtime ign, you can see the trim values and final ign angle changing in steps of 0.5. Please note as the engine is not running the ecu is periodically resetting the trim values to zero, but you still can see the numbers.

Hope you can understand my explanation and find it easy to test.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to look into that.  I managed to reproduce the same thing and was very surprised to find that result!

I have added an item to the firmware issues list but can not give any answer as to exactly when this issue will be resolved and tested.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ashley

Thanks for doing the ignition improvement above, is it possible to also include the "Idle Target Error Table" to have 0.1 interpolation.

Cheers

Andy Drummond

Hi Andy, this is something that will be included in our next main PCLink and firmware release.

Scott.