RX7 TPS issue

Matthew Oliver

Hi all Im in the process of helping a mate with his 86 RX7 Savanna get his Link V5 wire in up and running, ready for tuning. After getting it firing properly (4 coils and 3 igniter channels isnt the easiest thing to make work) I was sitting in the car and noticed that the TPS settings were all out of whack It sits at 20 at closed throttle which i under stand to be correct but at barely 1/4 throttle its already peaked at 100. I reran the TPS setup a few times to no avail, but did eventually find the problem The TPS has a rod that slides in and out that is spring loaded, when the throttle is closed it pushes the rod in and when open the rod comes out. But the TPS rod isnt long enough to cover the entire range of the throttle, infact it only covers 1/4 of it. My question is will we need the TPS to cover the entire range of the throttle movement? (I assume we will as the ECU is currently thinking we have WOT when infact we have it around the cruise point). Im also guessing that this must be a common issue for these engines so is there an easy to fit alternative TPS that could be run off the throttle spindle? IE like the subaru ones?

The main problem will be you will have to run the accel fuelling off MAP which is often not as good as TPS.

Not sure of an alternative TPS sensor but im sure someone else will be able to help on this one.

Thanks I will have a try at adapting one of the subaru ones I have floating around here to see if it will fit. Also where would I find a base map/tune for this? As I'm not too sure that the tune we currently have on it is the correct base, although we have done some short runs up and down the road and it is running ok and pulling well throughout the rev range, even idle seems ok.