Changing display units?

Guest |222|

• 4 weeks later...

No one can answer this? The main one I'm concerned about is th AFR units. I run methanol and ethanol so reading in lambda is important. I might be able to get used to the other things. I really like this ems and this may be the deal breaker for me.

There is no option to change to imperial. Metric is easy to learn. The only one I found that needs some adjustment is temperature. I am old enough to have being around when Imperial was used in Australia and had to make the change. I have written two programs to help people convert all the values used in the software to metric, and air fuel ratio to lambda.

If tuning methanol setup the target AF table with AF values using the AFcalc program to convert your lambda values into air fuel ratio petrol..not alcohol. You then can use Quicktune or Quicktrim to tune the engine.

MetricCalc.png

Download from here http://www.vi-pec.com/software/MetricCalc.exe

AFcalc.png

Download from here http://www.vi-pec.com/software/AFcalc.exe

what air fuel ratio meter are you using ? i found that most meters read in lambda and then do the conversion rate to AFR so it does not matter what fuel you are using your AFR will be displayed using the petrol conversion rate from lambda to AFR.

So 1.0 lambda is still 14.7afr no matter what fuel you are using because lambda does not change with the fuel you are using and your meter is only doing a conversion based on the petrol conversion rate to get the AFR from the Lambda reading.

Correct me if i am wrong but that worked for me when tuning with E85

On my dyno I use the Autronic B model with UEGO sensor. This outputs a 0 to 1 or 0 to 5 volt signal. This signal is based on Lambda. The Vipec ECU takes this in and displays air fuel ratio. I can change the display on the B model to air fuel ratio LPG, Diesel, Petrol, Lambda or Alcohol. This has no effect on the signal going to the Vipec. This is how all other meters work.

Yes 1.0 lambda is 14.7:1 petrol.

Ray.

yeah so basically you are getting a lambda reading on your vipec software but it is reading AFR based on the petrol conversion rate. - once you get familiar with lambda and afr you should be able to do a quick calculation in your head from AFR to LAMBDA - for me I had to learn how to convert it because my mate would always ask me what lambda i was running and i only used to tune in AFR so i learnt how to convert it to lambda quickly so he would understand..

.80's us about 11.8

.85's is about 12.5

.90 is about 13

etc etc

Another vote for Lambda in the tables as a selectable unit of measure. It is very annoying to have AFR as the only unit of measure. I mean who died and made Gasoline the default fuel to tune your engine on. It is only a number at the end of the day. The engine does not know the difference.

I mean who died and made Gasoline the default fuel to tune your engine on.

No one...but part of the fuel control logic and the background math are based on pump or race fuel. While adding an option so the target A/F became Target Lambda and all the other associated settings and labels is not a simple 5 minute change. It is one of the things on the "To be done list", but is not a priority as Methanol/Alcohol engine tuning is not the majority of the Vipec market. For people tuning Methanol/Alcohol engines, the information provided above will get the engine tuned correctly.

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

Its much simpler within these parameters to simply look at AFR in the petrol scale, as its well known that E85 is around 9.5:1 stoich and E100 is in the high 8s. Even more positive is the issue of Ethanol liking and creating more torque at the richer steps - all the way down to 6:1 AFR (Petrol scale). Its much quicker, also, to think in the petrol scale since that what everyone is used to. Why make another stage in your thought process to get info? Like looking at an analog dial instead of a digital readout.