More Tables

Tom Harper

More than 12 tables are required. On a link plus g3 upgraded to g4 the amount of tables (and therefore features) are reduced. This is a step backwards and Im starting to wonder if the upgrade was worth it. Surely its only a few 10s of Kb? 20 or even more would be more like it. On the car in question we are going to have to either delete anti-lag or individual cylinder 3d maps, where previously both could be ran simultaneously with more besides.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

instead of starting my own wish list i also have this problem but have run out of tables on the link g4 xtreme i need to use 4d fuel but due to other tables active i cant use this table i would have thought a high end ecu such as this would have been able to use all the tables avaliable i dont even have motorsport functions enabled yet!

off the top of my head i have

dwell, iat correction, fuel1,fuel2, afr target, boost 1,2and 3, ignition1, then the tables for the a/c fan, idle etc

but its crazy you cant run motorsport functions and have different boost levels or have multiple fuel maps its kind of pointless spending the money on an ecu that can do all this but at different times but not together

i dont even want to use anti lag etc but just want my fueling to be correct and have 3 boost settings off 1 and 2 and it wont let me

We can only hope they hear our prayers but i wouldn't hold my breath. They have not so far so.....

But yeah i agree completely. The tables get filled up very fast and if you want to run a 6 cylinder car with say individual cylinder knock control. 2 fuel and ignition maps. 2-3 boostmaps .... Well in the end you need to choose what means the most to you....

Its like i have to choose whether i want my car to run safe or fast. Cant do both.

We do hear you. The catch is that adding tables is no small task. The memory allocation for tables was set at the very start of the building of the firmware. To add more will require almost a total re-wright of the firmware.

It is something we hope to be able to offer but it will be a long time away.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just want to add that I would also welcome some more tables, because I'm also using some motorsport functions, and coupling that with knock control, etc, quickly eats up the available tables.

I'm very glad to hear it's a firmware limitation, and not a hardware one. That means that, potentially, a future firmware upgrade could make more tables available.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

The job is a big one, several thousand hours will be required. The memory on the current ECUs mean there just is not enough room to add more tables. The only way to increase the amount of tables would be to remove other features from the ECU.

Scott.

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve and Kurt,

The G4 ECUs (like all ECUs) have a certain amount of memory. The firmware uses up that memory. In order to add more tables to the firmware we would have to remove other features from the firmware. 

We are always working on new products including firmware and hardware. I can not say when more information will be available.

Best regards,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Glad im not the only one having this problem.

To be honest, the way we have taken one particular car now, anything up to 30 tables would be more like it. Or to put it a better way, each and every feature 'should' be able to be used at the same time, like most other ecu's out there. I feel this is the only thing holding back link from total market domination and would have thought it would be higher on your priorities list, but I understand you are more than busy.

I really do think it would be in your best interest, even from a financial standpoint. We are making do for now and Ill still recommend your ecu's over all others but it would be nice have more functionality.

The code to lookup the tables must be there, so surely its just the space taken up by the actual tables? I know I for one would gladly take, for instance, a substantial decrease in internal logging capacity. Say 50%? I know the old honda ecu's used to manage with just 256k, and they used to fit many tables onto that.  2mb would mean lots of room for tables, wouldn't it? I understand how each lookup section would need to be re-written though, i dont envy the task. But it would get you more supporters.

Tom

Future Racing Developments Ltd