LEM v4 to control a turbo Toyota 5SFE

Matt Alexander

So, I have this old Link LEM v4 in a box that I got in trade for some work years ago, and a '91 Celica GT (5SFE 2.2l) that I'm thinking about turbocharging....

All my googling doesn't show much for standalone use on these. Lots of people turboing them, but most just using a piggyback. Anyone done this? I think the best way would be to use the stock Distributor for the trigger, and then a pair of 2-pole Camry coils for wasted spark. Will the Link recognize the trigger signal? 

If I use the Link to control an electronic boost control solenoid, how do I control the idle (The v4 can only control one or the other)? Just by adjust the stop on the throttle plate?

HI Matt

The 5S should have a 24 tooth trigger in the distributor and a single tooth sync. Which provided the ECU has the correct sub-board will be able to be used.

Having the correct sub-board is going to be the critical thing in this case. The ECU will need to have been intended for use on either a 3SG or 20V 4AG to have a suitable sub-board.

The G1 product is very limited in what it can control due to the limited outputs and inputs.

You have to make a choice between boost control or idle control it cant do both.

In this case boost control would be the pick as the celica will have a 3 wire solenoid that the ECU can't control anyway.