Link ECU

SpeedKills

Greetings everyone just thought I would added this post for the big wigs there in LINK LAND to consider, I know that there not afraid of that word money and I was just wondering what there thoughts would be, on designing a plugin ecu for a Subaru Legacy 93- 99 Alot of us Leggy owners spend thousands of bucks try to modiy our car, yet some will say get a wrx but alot of us like the look of the legacy, it was the legacy that one the wrc first, while the wrx was still floating around in its creators head.... Any all that aside. I know yous have the the link wire in ECU, yet why not a plugin for the 93-99 subi legacy, imagine all the legacy owners that would convert to a single turbo with the link plugin ecu, the only one in the world to produce it. Just plugin tune and go, of course there engine mods, but for the Legacy owner it will now be in that price range, to make it all happen. If link designed such a ECU unit, just were would be there competition? Me I am in the process of coverting my Legacy to a single turbo, nearly finished happy to say it will run a Link, though I reckon this plugin ecu will be a good thing for link..

The decision to design and build any new Plug-In ECU is based on demand ...  If there is no demand (even though it might seem like its a really good idea) there will be no new ECU!  We have had alot of people doing the twin to single turbo conversion but they typically ask for a LinkPlus G2 and do the wire-in.  We offer HeaderLink borads for alot of common ECU plugs that allow you to wire to this board rather than modify factory wiring... but I cant tell you if we have one that fits the legacy connectors without seeing it.

I didn't really think it would be a good idea, I just thought it would make money. Here would be the break down cost wire in plugin ECU = 2500 ECU - 2500 wire in = 800 tune = 1500 tune = 1500 But you reckon there would not be a demand. The only reason the isn't at the moment is because there nothing available. maybe LINK makes to much money?

This is true maybe I don't no anything about automotive electronics, but I do know about Sales and Marketing .... I am just sayin that if you did, (not saying you will) but IF yous did have that plugin option for these vehicles (93-99 subaru legacy) like the G3 model yous are or have released for the WRX..... etc etc I would say, you will have a demand, I just could not see anyone buying a wirein if the plugin option was available, it would not make sense. But it does come down to cost and it would be the cheaper option, Link will have a jump on that market, as no one else does it... Most legacy owners know to convert to a single turbo costs a hell of a lot of money... $2,500 for LINK ECU, put $1,300 aside for wirein installation and another say $1,200 for tuning (est) I am lucky in a way with this plugin ver 4,5 link My99 ecu by Link fits my loom, but I know I have engine mods to make it all work... coil pak etc etc, plus the pinout is all different. Anyway it was just food for thought... it could be a good thing for LINK. I couldn't see it being bad.

Posted in the wrong place This is true maybe I don't no anything about automotive electronics, but I do know about Sales and Marketing .... I am just sayin that if you did, (not saying you will) but IF yous did have that plugin option for these vehicles (93-99 subaru legacy) like the G3 model yous are or have released for the WRX..... etc etc I would say, you will have a demand, I just could not see anyone buying a wirein if the plugin option was available, it would not make sense. But it does come down to cost and it would be the cheaper option, Link will have a jump on that market, as no one else does it... Most legacy owners know to convert to a single turbo costs a hell of a lot of money... $2,500 for LINK ECU, put $1,300 aside for wirein installation and another say $1,200 for tuning (est) I am lucky in a way with this plugin ver 4,5 link My99 ecu by Link fits my loom, but I know I have engine mods to make it all work... coil pak etc etc, plus the pinout is all different. Anyway it was just food for thought... it could be a good thing for LINK. I couldn't see it being bad.

• 4 months later...

There is no need to design anything the version 3-4 ecu that link puts out is a direct pugin for STi will fit a BG5B model legacy, which will be a GTB spec,(check your chassis code) sorry all you other legacy owners, but this model GTB runs a 4g ECU that has the same pinout as a version 3 4 Sti wrx.... foooooo I like that...... so the plug fits,[3 plug that is] But the GTB has 4 ignition outputs where the Sti has only 2. If the link ecu is plug in then it will most likely only have 2 ignition outputs as well. In this case you want to join ign1 and ign2 in the GTB loom together and run this to ign1 on the ecu. Likewise join ign3 and ign4 in the loom to ign2 on the ecu. Then it should fire properly on all cylinders. or you can just get Sti coil pack and ignitor which will do the same thing. Happy motoring... and the legacy lives on Tm

• 2 weeks later...

I posted on this before, yes I can say that the pinout are the same as a Ver 3 -4 STi as I have converted a legacy twin turbo to single, and ran a stock Version 3 STi ecu, but it is only on the BG5B series, 4G factory 3 plug ECU where can I send you an pinout to for a GTB spec BG5B this version of subaru is the EJ20R 280BHP series, I have both the pinout for this model and the V3- V4 WRX Sti and apart from the ignition outputs there is no difference. I am also keen on this adaptor + LEM G3 you speak of there Ian, I received this email from Simmon From : Tech Support Sent : Sunday, 7 January 2007 11:23:17 p.m. To : m****[email protected] Subject : Re: Contact Inbox We can offer the LEM G3 in a plug in format (LEM with adapta) this will give you full control over all fuel, ignition and boost. After that its all up to what the motor can make. Regards Simon I replied to this asked about prices on both units.... very keen.... I hope to hear back soon.

OK, went through the pinouts.  They are almost identical except for the following difference:  Ignition signals would need to be run to the #3 and #4 ignition signals.  there is one other difference from our adapter board and that is the running of the fuel pump drive to 2 pins for immobiliser options, but that would just be a matter of cutting a track.  All pins used for twin turbo control are curretnly disconnected on the adapter board.   Please note that the V3-4 adapter board has not gone to production yet due to lack of customer interest in it!

So this will work then Ian, if re routing a couple of pins on the loom, is better than a complete wirein, saves money to, can you please give a price for this adapter + LEM Thanks Jayson for the post and Sission for the insight....and knowledge on this one. cheers Ian for looking at it.... suprised you all at link didn't see that one, maybe considered not that important? Please get back to me with a price, I need the ECU to finish the car http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1290/30422450fulldi8.jpg http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5616/30424576fullvt2.jpg Thanks

You mean cheers Ashley for looking at the pinout.  We at Link do not really have enough requests for GTB adapters (well, not single turbo conversion ones anyway) to consider it.  It is not as simple as just swapping a few wires in the loom.  You could pair up your ignition channels and fire two coils at once.  That would get you going by just joining some wires.  But to run full control of the four ignition channels would require modificatrion to the adapter board as Ign 3 and Ign 4 are assigneed to other functions.  As far as pricing goes, contact [email protected] (Ian will reply), it is policy not to put prices on theses forums.  Remember that these boards have been prototyped and tested, but havn't gone to production yet.

yes yes my mistake Ashley, sorry thanks for looking at the pinout. So is it not possible for link to create and adapter that will address the other assigned fuctions you spoke about, and just what are these other assigned fuction? still seems like lite work compared to the full wirein job, and saving me money in the long run. can you fill me in on what these other fuctions are? many thanks I will contact sales once I have ironed out the bends. Much thanks

The other functions are not really applicable if you are going to wire the coils to fire together...  Also, as the AdaptaLink is not finalised yet, I may add the required mods to make it work with the twin turbo so that no wiring changes are required.  Lets just say that at worst you would have to pair a few wires up...  Chances are you will loose control of the purge solenoid and check engine light if I decide to wire it to give a four channel ignition option as these are the functions currentl controlled by Ig3 and Ig4.

just wondering Ashely whether the mods to make it [adapta] work with the twin turbo so that no wiring changes are required, will be implemented to the adapta for the v3-4 LINKG3, I have the prices and am pretty much on standby over this one... Thanks to the link team for the effort over this one, thanks Jayson for the original post.

The decision has been made to build the boards.  I will implement some changes to run the GTB engine, but it will be in wasted spark configuration (fire two coils at once) otherwise the V3-4 adapter will be unnecessarily complicated.  I have no vehicle to test it on.  Basically I will split the ign drives to save joining wires in the loom...