Wire up ignition on Bmw 745i Turbo (M106 Engine)

Jonas Eriksson

I got some questions how to wire up the 745i Turbo std ignition to the Link system i have. It has the distributor mounted on the camshaft but i do not know what kind of signal the box want? We will run it with a MSD 6 distributor ignition package (singel coil + box) I also will use a Audi Rs2 PWM valve to controll the boostpressure , will it work prop u think ?

OK, I am unfamiliar with any parts you have mentioned except MSD box.  The ECU will run MSD box (such as a 6AL) OK.  You will need to pull the distributor apart and find out what kind of sensor and how many teeth are in there.  It is most likely the ECU will have no problem running it but will need to be set up correctly.  I can help you with setup if you can provide enough sensor information.  Also, what ECU are you planing on using?  The boost control valve should be OK as long as it is a three port device...

Hey there A! Sorry for lack of information! As i can se...there is a cable connected thrue a "ring" on 1th cyl cable..and there is also a crank sensor BUT it only runs to the diagnostic output?! So iam very unsure how it works...the ecu is a bosch ecu and made for boost as it comes like this from Bmw fabric! , regarding the sensor info i guess i have tot take it apart to see how it operates?!

The pickup around the spark plug lead can not be used to run the motor as a pulse is required to make the spark first...  Yeah, you will have to pull the distributor apart and see how many teeth the pickup has and what type of sensor it has.  What does the crank pickup look like, how many teeth does it have?  Some pics of the crank sensor and inside the distributor would be handy...

• 1 month later...

Ok.. We are using a 60-2 toothed gear with what i think is called a magnetic VF sensor. (BMW STD PARTS) We are also using the PN6600 MSD HVC coil pack system. Do i have to set any type of dwell time? We are right now up to start it up for the first time...just going trough alls ensors and such. the engine is still the M30B35 engine...6-cyl..

Maybe it is a rev-limit coming in (it will if temperature is not reading correctly).  Use the limits tab of the runtime values at the bottom of the PCLink screen to see if any limits are being activated.  Another important thing to check is your reluctor polarity (wiring) and arming threshold voltages.  Make sure that all unused trims and corrections are turned off for now.  Make sure you base timing is set correctly also.

I talked to Simon/Link over Skype last night.. and we found that the arming threshold voltages were like shut of after 2000rpm..they were set to 0.0 voltage , so we changed them so we have higher voltage up on higher revs.. it feels really like this was the problem..i will go out in the garage and download this numbers soon..and try to rev it up. /Jonas