VQ35 in a boat with hot start problem

Pierre Brizzell

Looking for some suggestions. I've got a VQ35 in a jetboat on a G4 storm. It was tuned by an authorised link agent. The problem.... When it has been run for a while (fully up to temp) if I turn it off for around 3-5 mins and try to start it it is hard to start. I have to jandel it and crank for ages and it eventually catches. Cold start great. Starts fine if I wait 20mins or more. Starts fine if I turn of and start again immediately. problem appears to be only when left for short period. The supplier has said play around with crank enrichment which I have done but hardly notice any difference. Agent knows how to charge and doesn't seem to be coming up with useful suggestions. I don't really know what I'm doing and trial and error is not working. Anyone got any suggestions. I'd love to know whats happening and make some intelligent attempt at resolution.

Previously Pierre Brizzell wrote:

Looking for some suggestions. I've got a VQ35 in a jetboat on a G4 storm. It was tuned by an authorised link agent. The problem.... When it has been run for a while (fully up to temp) if I turn it off for around 3-5 mins and try to start it it is hard to start. I have to jandel it and crank for ages and it eventually catches. Cold start great. Starts fine if I wait 20mins or more. Starts fine if I turn of and start again immediately. problem appears to be only when left for short period. The supplier has said play around with crank enrichment which I have done but hardly notice any difference. Agent knows how to charge and doesn't seem to be coming up with useful suggestions. I don't really know what I'm doing and trial and error is not working. Anyone got any suggestions. I'd love to know whats happening and make some intelligent attempt at resolution.

If you can, could you please send me your .pcl file and I would be happy to look at it for you. 

[email protected]

Hi Pierre.

I think this may be due to latent heat evaporating what fuel you have left in the rails.  The solution to this problem would usually involve adding a bit more fuel to the 'post start' & 'crank enrichment' numbers under the respective operating temperatures on those tables.  These numbers are relational in a way.

The reason for leaving it 20 odd minutes and it's good to start; my guess is it is looking at different enrichment numbers on a lower temperature cell.  Let us know how you get on with that.

Jurgen