Re: AIM Dash Setup with Vipec

Guest |141|

Hi There, 

Apologies for reviving an old thread, 

Can a factory Nissan fuel tank sender provide feedback or work with either the Vipec ecu or AIM MXS dash? or am I limited to conducting the math calculation for for usage / level?

For fuel level you need a lot of filtering to slow it down (so you dont see the fuel sloshing around etc).  Our ECU's dont have configurable filtering so you will not be able to get a useful signal via the ecu.  I just looked at Race Studio 3 and the MXS does have configurable filtering so it will be best to connect it direct to the dash.  You will have to get advice from AIM about how to connect it but I would assume it will go to an analog input and will need a relatively low resistance pullup resistor.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hi Again, 

Any tips for correcting pressure sensor readings? have vipec plug in ecu hooked up to an aim MXS colour screen dashand the oil and fuel pressure outputs are reading quite high, oil pressure at 110 psi on a cold start and fuel pressure @70psi???

both fuel and oil pressure sensors are the same honey well 150 psi sensor part number Honeywell part number MLH150PGB06A

1 hour ago, roarpw said:

Hi Again, 

Any tips for correcting pressure sensor readings? have vipec plug in ecu hooked up to an aim MXS colour screen dashand the oil and fuel pressure outputs are reading quite high, oil pressure at 110 psi on a cold start and fuel pressure @70psi???

both fuel and oil pressure sensors are the same honey well 150 psi sensor part number Honeywell part number MLH150PGB06A

Does the pressure read correct in VTS?

I Hooked the lap top up to the ecu today and the ecu sees the correct pressure readings on both fuel and oil pressure, when I selected the oil and fuel pressure from the an inputs section i got the correct prerssure reading in psi. 

when i select the specific oil press and fuel press items it spits out the pressures in kpa... but the when the ecu was reading 28psi oil pressure at idle the dash was spitting out 44/48 psi, for oil and when the ecu reads 50 psi fuel pressure the dash gives a reading of 70psi???

its weird how its out?

i also have an issue with voltage but ill put that in another section.

thanks

Your Cal 4 is in PSI, it needs to be in Kpa for CAN devices.  It looks like your fuel and oil press arent being used for anything except logging so it wont hurt anything to change the cal to KPa units.

Try changing cal 4 to look like below.  I suspect you may still find the pressure displayed wrong (10X) on the dash which is a AIM problem but there are a couple of ways we can fix that if needed.  Let me know how pressures display on dash after changing this cal. 

ibREEz3.png

Thanks Very much i will give this a go... I appreciate the help.

I understand they may not be tied into anything else at this stage but i am hoping to introduce some protection tables into the ecu for fuel pressure and perhaps if possible oil pressure to try and protect or minimise damage to the engine as soon as possibe. 

that was the main reason for introducing the fuel and oil pressure sensors in the first place. I'm running twin bosch 044 pump with e85 and i have serious concerns about the reliability of these pumps as well as running at wanneroo raceway cars historically have a lot of oil surge issues.

HI Adam, 

I have changed the calibration on the ecu but iot did not change the readings on the dash at all? at a cold start idle the ecu reads 740kpa for oil pressure and 518 for fuel pressure whilst the dash still reads 100/110 psi for oil pressure and 75 for fuel pressure???

Any more suggestions would be great... but i would agree it seems to be an aim dash problem more than anything else.

ok thanks, that helps, it seems the dash and the ecu are talking and reading correctly.... thanks for that... 

Do you have any idea typically what sort of fuel pressure should be considered normal at idle? its an rb25det and twin 044 bosch pumps?

3 hours ago, roarpw said:

Do you have any idea typically what sort of fuel pressure should be considered normal at idle? its an rb25det and twin 044 bosch pumps

Most would aim for about 300KPa or 43psi as thats the "industry standard" unless there was some reason not to.  If your fuel press is only high at idle then it may just be the FPR is too small for the two pumps.

• 1 year later...

Hi Ben, I will PM you some instructions.  

Edit - added later:  Note you can also connect the dash via serial and it will work without the CAN mod, this is just a bit painful though as you cant have the laptop and dash connected at the same time - you have to unplug the dash when you want to tune.

2 hours ago, Greg W said:

Adam do the upgraded ecu's have CAN printed on the serial number tag ?

A recently removed the mounting plate from my spare V88 and it  has that on the tag 

Im not sure sorry, it sounds plausible.  Whats the serial?