Re: G4 extreme wont complete firmware update.

Finbarr Oconnor

I have wired up etc my g4 extreme and tried to carry out a firmware update..Now the ecu will not connect in pc link and the firmware update will not complete itself. It goes as far as cycle ignition on and off then no further.i have tried leaving it alone and also turing the ignition on and off still noting..any ideas its like its wiped of everyrhing..

when it gets to the point of asking to cycle the ignition. Either disconnect and then reconnect the battery and see if that gets it through.

You can also unplug and then re connect the ECU to get the same result.

I suspect that you have a back feed and it is keeping the ECU powered up even though the key is off.

Yes you were spot on as this was the last thing i tried and it worked.. Im having some more problems now.The engine is a bmw s54 im running direct spark with bosch 3 channel ignition modules..I have used some of the settings in the g4 help section for my engine.I can get spark fine when i do an ignition test but nothing when cranking over..i tested my triggers last week before wiring up the ignition.I have wired my crank sensor in the opposte polarity as per the manual says the ecu has to see it when its falling..so i was getting the correct waveform with that and also with my cam sensor im getting the corect digatal waveform.. Is there any base map for this to get me going.. Cheers..

are you getting trigger 1 and 2 ok? and a sensible cranking rpm displayed? i.e 200ish rpm

if so you should have spark..

once you have that disable fuel..  and stick a timing light on.. and try to roughly align ignition event with crank markings.

use any supplied basemap.. (makes no difference as you need a full tune.)

go into master fuel ms.. start at a low number.. and increase whilst cranking to achieve engine start.. once you have an idle adjust ignition trigger offset until you have ignition alignment.

now tune fuelling until you can free rev the motor..

now check ignition alignment at high rpm..

adjust trigger delay to compensate..

if it wont rev and the rpm trace is poorly then check your trigger 1 polarity with scope.

hope that helps

Thanks for the help.But just done all that there a while ago. Got the timing aligned there then checked for spark found no spark on the even cly..eg 2,4&6.But when testing ignition all spark ok.. Then when checking rpm during cranking its going well in 6k rpm. IM using bosch 0227 100 203 triple chanel ignition modules with coil on plug are these ok.. Im going to check over wiring again. cheers..