Link G3 Ignition issues. Got power, got a signal but no spark

Shawn Ferguson

Anyone who can help that would be great.

Car is a 92 subaru rs turbo ive been building in my spare time. Its ready to crank to life but has no spark.

Coils have been upgraded to my02sti coils with built in igniters, standard igniter has been bypassed. Ive got good earths on all coils and have +12v at all coils, signal wise the link is telling me i have a 3.99m/s output on cranking, not having an oscilloscope to check with ive tried simpler methods, got the multimeter on there to check dwell angle, and its telling me im getting a 5degree dwell, (starting at 90 degree for a 4 cyl and dropping to 85 on cranking) so im assuming here I have some sort of output to  my coils.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction here.

Cheers,

Shawn

Good morning Shawn,

In PCLink, under the ignition section there is a function called ignition test. With this you can select each ignition output and switch it to 'ON'. Having it turned on puts out a 10 Hz pulse with a dwell time of 5ms. You can do this even without the engine cranking. Do you get any spark with this test?

If you still have no spark and your wiring is correct and good it would indicate that there is a fault with the ignition output of the ECU or the coils. If you can see the dwell time at the coils with your multi-meter it would seem your ECU is doing the job, so possibly there is something wrong with your coils. Do you have access to another coil (with inbuilt ignitor) you can test with?

Cheers,

Scott

I've seen the test function Scott. I had a mate man the spark tester to see any spark. I switched the selected coil to "on" and we couldn't attain a spark. Although we did see a dwell on a multimeter during cranking?

So to clarify I conducted the test correctly you simply select a coil to "on" and that's that. Did I miss a button to start the test etc?

Well I did that, but not having a decent multimeter on hand I couldnt measure any frequency, but there was NO spark during the test, as I did have a spark tester connected during that time.

Im only near the car for a few days every couple of weeks scott so ill bring my multimeter home with me and check it correctly, If all is well ill take the coils to a good mate of mine who deals with ecu and ignition testing. Im going to re-check my earths to the engine and see if this helps also.

Thanks scott.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott I did some fault finding yesterday, continuity tested the ignition wiring all the way to the coil and everything came back good. After a quick flick through the wiring and install manual and then a look through the technical drawings on here I found what could be my issue. http://www.linkecu.com/support/documentation/technical-drawings/I14

Sorted. Had a poor earth and once it was fixed I could hear the test plus sparking its little heart out as soon as I turned the test on. Best sound I've heard in a while. Then sorted out the wiring for the other 3 coils and after some final stressing it fired to life. That is now the best sound I've heard in a while. Td06 powered 2.2ltr Subaru donk with just a dump pipe hanging off it and a lot of fuel. So yes it's sounds angry. Question is how do I adjust the injection to suit my injectors.